1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Bidwell now flies with the angels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Cheap-ass bastard in St. Louis. Having stated that, RIP

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Is the dude still sporting a Dumb & Dumber do?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'd call it a Moe Howard Special, but that would be an insult to the memory of Moe Howard.

Liut likes this.
  4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No, it’s Bidwill and it’s not even close. He’s been a shit owner for far longer than Davis has even been alive.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I hope he didn’t find someone had changed the locks on him in the afterlife. That’s how he fired Hanifan in 1985.

Petty, cheap with his team and his city. Also quietly generous with St. Louis charities and poor children. It’s an odd legacy.

Even two years ago, the Bidwills paid for a youth football program and scholarships in STL, 30 years after they left for Arizona.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My uncle was a pretty good friend of his and he attended several of my cousins' weddings. He dated my mom (very infrequently) in prep school/JC and sent flowers to her funeral.
    He and my uncle stood on the sidelines and served as ball boys at the infamous "Snow Bowl" NFL title game of 1948.
    He seemed like a half decent guy on the small handful of times I met him, ie he didn't vomit on the floor at the wedding reception.
    As far as how he ran the football team, well, it is what it is.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Exactly how many failsons are there owning teams in the NFL?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's crazy but the second-longest tenured owner in the league right now is Jerry in Dallas behind Gini in Chicago.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Schoenfeld...

Can you imagine his Twitter if he lived to see it? Sweet lord, he would an absolute must follow.

Cosmo likes this.
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I remember when Tim McDonald left for the 49ers and him telling stories of Bidwill chatting you up like your best friend and three hours later wouldn’t even say hello to you if you passed each other in the hall.

Bidwill probably suffered from some form of mental illness like depression or bi-polar. RIP

Odd cat, but moving the Cardinals to Phoenix was a good move. I would love to hear Fitz’s opinion of him.

Did the Cardinals ever stop doing week-to-week press passes? Never a season pass. Wasn’t that a thing at one time with them?

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Maroons... it’s not maroon, it’s cardinal red.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, considering that until three years earlier, there were two NY Giants franchises, it probably wasn’t a big deal to the baseball Cards.

Plus, go back a few decades before that. A lot of football franchises shared names with the baseball team. Dodgers, Reds, Yankees, Indians, Senators. It just wasn’t a big deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted