1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Bennett: Is College Worth It?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 11, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

100%.

If you hire they guy who's less qualified "on paper" and he doesn't pan out, now you're job is on the line.

You hire the guy with a Harvard MBA and he doesn't pan out, who could blame you.

2. printit

printit Member

This is very true in law.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Figures it's getting worse because so many companies have online applications that basically look for certain search terms, and if they're not in there, you don't get a sniff.

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

You know why some people get into a four-year degree program and don't finish? Because it's too fucking expensive.

If I had it to do all over again, no way would I have gone to college. I would have learned something useful.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

On the other hand, you know why you do finish? Because you can't write off student loan debt in a bankruptcy. That's another reason college costs so much -- because everyone knows they're first in line to get their money, no matter what happens to you.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Take a look around where you live. Where is there new construction going on?

The majority of projects are in three areas: government buildings, hospitals, and colleges.

All three of these areas have basically insulated themselves from the economy.

7. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law is living proof that bypassing college can work out very well if you're willing to work your ass off.

He went to work for the local water authority as an entry-level grunt -- cutting grass, painting fire hydrants, etc. -- right out of high school. We all thought he was nuts because he's really smart and could've done well in college, but he had no interest in staying in school and wanted to get started with his life.

25 years later, he's worked his way up and supervises the plant's operations. He makes $130,000 a year and is probably going to take a six-figure consultants job with a software company when he's able to retire at age 50.

Meanwhile, me and my awesome journalism degree are doing exactly what my father told me I'd be doing a long time ago: Working like a dog in a $45,000 a year job and feeling extremely fortunate to still be doing so.

Point is, one size does not fit all when it comes to life. Lots of kids are going to college because their parents insist on it, and despite the best intentions, they're winding up unemployed and in a heap of debt for the experience.

Many middle-class folks like myself no longer can afford for our children the status symbol that college has become.

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

My brother and I are polar opposites when it comes to how college can work:

He has a master's from Georgetown in International Relations or something like that, works for the State Department as a FSO stationed in Cyprus, pulling down probably close to $100K a year.

I have a BA in Journalism and with OT at my manual labor gig I make $40K. But I really like my job.

Draft saved Draft deleted