1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bikers attack SUV driver

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Dude.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Or his insurance company. If his company leased the car they will be paying.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He can also countersue them for the injuries he received, plus pain and suffering.

And when he sues, he should sue them for their bikes.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Part of the reason this story interested me was an experience I had a dozen or so years ago. It wasn't with a motorcycle, but another car.
    I was driving home from a football game that I covered and accidentally cut someone off. I didn't hit him. I didn't intend to hit him or cut him off, so as far as I was concerned, no harm, no foul.
    I'm willing to bet that everyone has done this at least once in their lives. OK, I should have been more careful, but it was an honest mistake and no harm came from it.
    The other guy didn't see it that way.
    After honking his horn and pulling in front of me, he drove about 150 yards in front of me, put his car in reverse and started backing it up at a fairly high rate of speed, maybe 30 or 40 mph or so. He stopped about 20 yards short of backing into the front of my car.
    I guess what he was trying to tell me was that honest mistake or not, if I did hit him the damage would have been the same as if he had hit me on purpose. Intentions don't matter. Actions do.
    Moral of the story: It's not all fun and games out there. If you do something careless, you're fucking with other people's lives and livelihood and you shouldn't be surprised when they want to kill you.
    On the other hand, I think the guy was an asshole who needed to lighten up, so I guess I didn't learn that lesson.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If that's what he was trying to tell you, he's even more of a moron than his actions would indicate. There is a big damn difference between an honest mistake and intentionally running into somebody.

That said, I doubt he was trying to tell you anything. He was just an asshole with rage issues and the truly unfortunate part of that incident is that there was no police officer around to arrest him for intentionally putting your live and his at risk.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yeah. I'm probably giving the guy too much credit.
    I think people take driving a little too seriously sometimes, however.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

If these jackasses want to take it to the courts, good luck to them. Plenty of videos will be shown, not just from this incident but many others, painting a pretty ugly picture. By coming forward with a suit, they will be tying themselves to the numerous illegal acts depicted in the various videos.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

This. If you spend enough time on the road, you're probably going to get cut off and you!re probably going to cut off someone. Mistakes happen. There's no excuse for some asshole to go all road rage.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Agree with those who say those weren't bikers.

From what I saw on videos, they're all speed bumps in training.

Some goon with a helmet starts bashing my vehicle's window while my wife and child are inside, I'm turning my SUV into Bruce Lee and taking out him and a bunch of his co-jackasses.

Only problem is, you put enough of them in wheelchairs and they'll start gang-buzzing innocents down at the rehab center.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm sure that their e-mails, texts and social network posts are filled with what their intention was on that day. I think that each and every biker that they can identify as being present is going to get sued by each injured party (including the driver of the car).

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But, odds are, the injured parties were part of the email, text and social network chain.

So wouldn't they have to sue themselves too?

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Wow ... Gloria Allred is representing the injured biker, who has had his right to drive revoked in his home state of Massachusetts since 1999. Not to mention a number of violations. Stunner.

http://www.eagletribune.com/latestnews/x934955433/Bikers-right-to-drive-revoked-since-1999

From the story:

"Mieses’ learner’s permit to drive a car was suspended in 1999 following a spate of violations in Lawrence, including speeding, failure to stop, attaching improper plates, driving without insurance and driving an unregistered vehicle, according to records from the Registry of Motor Vehicles. He never received a driver’s license for a car or motorcycle, the records show.

"Since then, he has accumulated numerous violations for driving without being licensed, along with violations like speeding, driving to endanger and failure to stop, according to the records. Those violations extended the suspension on his right to drive."

Holy shit, that's karma.

Draft saved Draft deleted