1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bike Share Programs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 26, 2013.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Barclays sponsored the ones over here, and yeah, you see their logo everywhere. I'm sure they were hoping people would refer to them as Barclays bikes, but Boris bikes is the nomenclature that's won out.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Even in New York City, you can buy a fuck load of media for $40 million. And, you can attach a brand message to the media.

What message is CitiBank communicating with these bikes? At best, it's some subtle, "we're a good citizen," vibe they're truing to get across.

But, what will be interesting is when someone does get crunched by a bus, and the Post has a front page photo of a mangled CitiBike. I'm not sure they're going to love that brand exposure.

The other thing is that the bikes are all clean now, and the logo's aren't fucked up. It's going to be a lot of work -- and require a lot of time and money -- to make sure they remain that way. No one wants to see their logo all scuffed up, or defaced. And, the company running the program isn't going to want to spend money keeping the logo looking nice, but it will be critical to Citi. So, there will be a lot of built in tension in that relationship.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Every time someone uses an apostrophe to pluralize, God kills an endangered species.

RIP Abdulali's Wrinkled Frog.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know much about advertising, and often don't understand the ad purchases I see people make. In this case, though? I don't know what $40 million would alternatively buy you, but this is so unique and ubiquitous, my thought was it has to be good bang for the buck. Even if you buy a shit ton of TV ads, for example, people tune them out and your ad is never going to be all that unique from the three other ads filling the break.

This? There is nothing competing with them in this "medium." Not only are there giant stations only blocks apart with your name all of them (and in your colors), but the bikes themselves are rolling billboards.

Maybe eventually, people will tune out the logo. But walking around since they put in the stations two or three weeks ago, it's hard not to notice Citibank's logo having popped up everywhere.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Does New York's program have a 17-page rental agreement?

6. The Big Ragu

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bike Snob vs. WSJ

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2013/06/extra-extra-wall-street-journal-wins-at.html

8. The Big Ragu

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Romenesko has asked the WSJ to find out the last time she rode a bicycle.

http://jimromenesko.com/2013/06/03/when-was-dorothy-rabinowitz-last-on-a-bicycle-ive-asked-the-wsj/

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

11. The Big Ragu

Well, that video is silly, but it's indicative of Internet content today. But it's bad because it is an over-the-hill dinosaur ranting about something inconsequential. Not because of a lack of balance. The Journal's editorial page has never strived for balance. The kinds of editorials you read on Paul Gigot's editorial page today are pretty much the same things you read during Robert Bartley's long tenure from the 1960s until about 10 years ago. It's always had a bias toward free markets and individual rights. It's also always drawn a lot of criticism from people who don't subscribe to those views.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't remember opinions and editorials looking so much like an interview.

Draft saved Draft deleted