1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bike racks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

All of us have bought bikes, for some silly reason, in the past month. My son got a fancy one yesterday for his 30th birthday.

We're going to the beach in two weeks and would like to take them.

So help me, PLEASE, clear up the confusion and find decent, relatively inexpensive bike racks. I know a bunch of you ride, what do you use?

I last bought a bike rack 30 years ago. It was a bitch to put on the car and it scratched it all to hell (probably because I was putting it on wrong). I never felt the bikes were secure. There are SO many out there it makes my head spin.

We're taking two cars. A two-bike rack is good.

We thank you in advance.

(and by relatively inexpensive, I meant not several hundred. I saw a rack the other day for two bills. Uh, no)

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I use a rooftop Yakima on a Subaru Forester, but I don't recall how expensive it was.

The non-rooftop version requires a trailer hitch, and is probably more expensive.

You might also want one that locks in case you leave them unattended.

VB

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Does your car have a factory rack with crossbars? Or trailer hitch?

If not, then your cheapest option is a trunk mount. Check with REI.com, which has a rack fitter app.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with Saris

http://www.rei.com/product/724094/saris-bones-3-bike-trunk-rack

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Anyone know anything about this model?

http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-KingJoe-Pro-3-Bike-Rack/dp/B004NT4BYA/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1373905334&sr=1-2&keywords=yakima+king+joe+3

6. Inky_Wretch

Not that specific model, but I've got a Yakima hitch rack on my Jeep and a roof rack on my wife's SUV. They're great products.

Does that model have lockable straps/steel cables? If you're going to leave your bikes on the rack very much, I'd make sure it has those. Thule makes a trunk mount that does, not sure about Yakima.

7. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Just spend $250 on a two-bike trunk rack made by Thule. It's pretty great. Took a couple bikes 10 hrs to Michigan and back, everything was peachy. Rubber latches make it nice. You don't have to adjust.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was about this:

http://gawker.com/couple-driving-to-dave-matthews-show-spots-a-hitchhikin-786539838

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

You'll be fine with the trunk mount. Only bummer is you have to get in and out of the back on the trip. My lady friend at the time and I drove to Mount Hood and back from CO with the trunk/hatch mount on my Outback. It was fine, drove 80 here and there, no rattle or bike shaking everywhere. Also had a bungy on them tied together though.

10. Inky_Wretch

IJAG totally harshed my mellow about that story.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

In the market for same as Moddy... I just learned to ride (shut up, just shut up) and I'm itching to ride more and more.

12. Inky_Wretch

It can get addictive. I'm up to 200 miles per week now.

Draft saved Draft deleted