1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bike people are the worst

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Jul 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No - different users of the public thoroughfare all operate under slightly different rules.

It's why pedestrians aren't required to signal their turns.

Again, read the DMV handbook. Gotta share the road.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, the key word is “impeding.” That doesn’t mean “it’s illegal as soon as a car comes up behind you.”

We have three LEOs who ride with us. One is in charge of setting the Saturday morning route. They all tell us doubled up is safer for us - and the motorists - than being stretched out in single file.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

So how long do they have to be behind you before they are impeded?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Couple minutes. About like getting stuck behind a combine.

And that’s very rare.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

See, this is why that cartoon is so funny.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's infrastructure week!

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I live in a neighborhood where we get a hell of a lot of serious cyclists. I used to do a fair bit of it myself. I am more than happy to share the road with cyclists. I just have two small requests:

a) Please, act in a semi-predictable manner. Don't start weaving for the hell of it as I'm about to pass you well to your left. Don't ride in little circles in oncoming traffic because you're waiting for a light and don't want to put your foot down. Don't fly through a one-way stop sign without looking. In the last couple of years I've come within feet of killing or maiming guys who did all of the above and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it.

b) If you have one of those bike headlights that is an intense strobe light, please remove it from your bike and see how far up your ass you can cram it.

I think those are reasonable. Thank you.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous. A Baronesque analogy.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Regardless, I get to roll through a stop sign on my bike.

You don't get to do it in your car.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As a sidebar, this.

We have one of these threads every year or two, and what characterizes every one of them is how angry motorists are, and how little they know about traffic law.

Kato, Inky_Wretch and Driftwood like this.
  11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

The nadir for me and scooter people was having one grab at a passenger side car door while I was driving past the Acuff. I honked my horn and told him to let go of the car. He giggled and kept holding on until Metro pulled us over. (Maybe intoxicated tourists are the worst.)

I'm not angry at scooter and bikeshare renters so much as they scare me. A lot of people riding them around here have no business getting out in Nashville traffic. They wobble along, barely able to stay upright, and then weave out in front of cars. They're pretty bad about endangering pedestrians on sidewalks as well.

The whole easygoing Southern thing is a plot to lure tourists. Don't fall for it.

FWIW, the suburban cyclists here are very good about sharing the road. Inconvenienced? Maybe. I'm more on the side of being impressed and a little envious when I see them.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The first time I really saw/noticed the scooters in Nashville was in March. I was on the corner of 7th and Broadway and thought that might be OK for lazy people going down the hill, but they won't like kicking back up. Then I see a guy riding up hill and realized they were motorized. "Oh boy, some fool is going to get killed on one of those."
    A few weeks later I was proven right.

Draft saved Draft deleted