1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bike people are the worst

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Jul 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Neither is riding 30 mph under the speed limit on a curved country road with a hill.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's actually safer for cyclists and easier for vehicles to pass when cyclists are two abreast.

Single file, we take up a longer length of road and that puts the vehicle alongside the cyclists for more time.

Doubled up, we take up less length - which means the vehicle can clear the group quicker at the same speed.
    ::::::::::

Bicycle Safety: Do You Legally Have to Ride Single File? | Bicycling

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Tell that to the farmer on his tractor. Or the logging truck. Or the construction crew.

Drivers should always be prepared to slow down.

Sorry.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The farmer will pull over and let you drive by.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So will a cyclist.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I live in a very bike-friendly city, and wish I had more time for mine.
    My issue is not their rights.
    I often believe that, on the road, I am acting in greater concern for their safety than they are.
    FWIW, I feel the same way about motorcycles.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

From your link

In 39 states, the law specifically allows cyclists to ride two abreast. In 21 of these states, cyclists may ride two up only if they are not impeding traffic. Three states—Massachusetts, New York and Virginia—specifically require cyclists to roll single file when being overtaken by a passing vehicle. Even if your state allows riding two abreast, be aware that there may be nuances to the law, and that local and state regulations might differ: Some cities or municipalities prohibit two-up riding, even though it is legal elsewhere in the state. And if your ride takes you through an Indian reservation, tribal law trumps state law.

So... only 18 states allow you to ride side by side when cars are behind you.

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

As a pedestrian, I have a BIG problem with a lot of cyclists in New York. A large percentage have no regard for traffic laws. Have the same rights as cars? Then obey the damn laws.

It's a pedestrian city and there are times when you feel like you have a target on your back, with both cars and bikes aiming for you.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Fuck assholes who put people's lives in danger.

But my point was I tolerate and will have sympathy for cyclists who are obeying the law and doing their best to be courteous. I lose my sympathy for the plight of the cyclist when 40 of them create a hazard and ride like assholes. And I say the same thing about bikers and all drivers. Make it dangerous to drive because you don't think about everyone else on the road then fuck you. Pass against a double yellow: fuck you. Blow a stop sign: fuck you. Weave in and out of traffic: fuck you. Ride in a pack of 40 that is going 25 in a 50 and ride side-by-side so drivers can't safely pass, and blow a stop sign as a car is going through with the right of way: fuck you.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted