1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bike people are the worst

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Jul 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

No bike lane. Just the one lane with parking.
    I did look up state law on the issue and found something about not turning right onto another street or into a driveway in front of a bicyclist after passing him/her unless the distance is reasonable.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Yeah, that law makes sense. Cars turning right when you're riding straight might be the biggest hazard cyclists face.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I was going straight through the light, which was green. The car wanted to make a right turn and instead of waiting for me to go through, jumped in front of me to turn. No bueno.

As for your situation, since I ride down a lot of city streets with parallel parking, if I see someone signal, I tend to pass them on the left as long as there's nobody in the other lane, just like I would do as if I was in a car. If I can't pass, it's on me to slow down, like I'm in a car, and let the person park. You wouldn't just blow by someone on the right in a car if he were trying to park.

EDIT to add that I tend to ride with my head on a swivel. I ride under the assumption that everyone is trying to hit me, so that keeps my guard up at all times. Of course, that's not true. But I don't take any situations for granted.

HC likes this.
  5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

OK. I think I missed it that in your original description that you must have been ahead of the car making the turn. I am just curious about my responsibility when making any right with a bike coming up behind me.

Regarding your 'head on a swivel' approach, I was talking about driving and drivers with somebody who was a motorcyclist. She was hyper-aware of rules of the road and general driver courtesy because of being a biker. She said she had a friend who took a motorcycle class just because the class provided so much about being a good driver. Being on both sides of the car/bike interaction helps in both situations.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

When I rode in traffic, I always had a mirror mounted on my handlebars. But I don't ride in traffic anymore.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was ahead of the car. I would not have tried to pass someone on the right who was trying to make a turn.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Will self driving vehicles naturally avoid cyclists?

I’m assuming yes and that would be heaven for the bikers here.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

jesus fucking christ

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess he was in your blind spot, and that you slowed down pretty abruptly and edged your car to the right, as drivers often do when they see a parallel parking space.

Draft saved Draft deleted