1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest upsets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TyWebb, Jul 15, 2007.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Working on a list of the biggest upsets in sports for either a column or blog entry. I'm sure this has been covered repeatedly, but I was wondering what the SportsJournalists.com crowd thought was the biggest upset in sports of all time.

The two at the top of my list are 1980 US Hockey over Russia and Buster Douglas over Tyson. Is there anything that tops either of those?

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not even close to '80 hockey or Douglas

Great win by D-2 over powerhouse Ralph Sampson team in a meaningless XMass Tourney

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Villanova over Georgetown.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

NC State over Houston, '69 Mets over everyone, 1990 Reds over A's.

6. Pigs will learn to fly, trees will walk on water, and elephants will drive in the Indy 500 before NC State finds a way to beat Houston.

IIRC, that was in the Washington Post before the game. This game is distinguished slightly from Villanova's upset of Georgetown, in that 'Nova beat a familiar conference opponent in the final.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

three_bags_full over Dooley Womack in the regional final

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

1950 World Cup. USA 1, England 0. A group of part-time players, who had played together for three weeks, beat the best team in the world on a neutral field.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Beckett winning 17 or fewer games

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I disagree on the 90 Reds. They played in a tougher division, tougher league and won wire-to-wire.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It might have been a familiar opponent, but Villanova played an almost perfect basketball game to win it.

12. True...both games are right there together. Tough to pick one over the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted