1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest trades in professional sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There should also be some delineation between "at the time" and "over time"

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Dickerson is a big one...

The Bryant trade was huge, but not at the time... Same with Brett Favre... Same with Marshall Faulk...

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

See, that's where I'm coming from.....

It's one thing to trade a younger player with potential and watch him become a star wearing someone else's colors. It's quite different to trade someone who has ALREADY won MVP awards, scoring titles, championships. To send them packing in their prime, knowing you'll probably never have anyone like them again.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Babe Ruth was technically a sale, not a trade, because the Red Sox didn't get anybody back.

Rangers getting Mark Messier was a big deal, at least in New York and Edmonton.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It wasn't just the trade, though. The Redskins got a similar haul from the Ricky Williams deal and didn't do anything with it. The Cowboys had a plan, drafted well, and restocked their entire franchise from that one deal.
    I remember reading somewhere that, by the time all of the draft picks, subsequent trades for draft picks, and assorted trades stemming from the Walker deal were sorted out, there were about 150 players who had ties to it scattered throughout the league.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Kareem Abdul-Jabaar

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What, exactly, did Walker accomplish either before or after the trade? Sure, he'd have a few plays here and there that would make you go "oooooh". But in the big picture, he wasn't the megastar that so many of us expected him to be coming out of college. I called him the Ralph Sampson of the NFL.

Walker wasn't, IMO, even on Eric Dickerson's level as a running back. He had one huge year in the USFL and rushed for 1,514 yards with a bad Dallas team in 1988. Made the playoffs twice with Philadelphia years later. Minnesota was desperate for a running game to become what it hoped would be a Super Bowl team and waaaaaaay overpaid for him.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Gretzky, Kurri and Messier were essentially playing for the hockey equivalent of the St. Louis Browns or Kansas City A's.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Championships aside, I'm assuming you mean their market size or owner's wealth.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I seem to remember we've had this discussion before. As long as those three massively awesome players were cheap, all was roses. You can't compare 1988 money to 2013 money.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Steve Carlton for Rick Wise

Lou Brock for a bag of nickels

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dave Winfield for a steak dinner.

Harry Chiti for ... Harry Chiti.

Cy Young for a new suit.

Tim Fortungo for a box of balls (OK, the balls were to COMPLETE the deal).

http://viewsfromthebullpen.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/the-weirdest-trades-in-baseball-history/

Draft saved Draft deleted