1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest trades in professional sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Today (Aug. 9) is the 25th anniversary of the trade of Wayne Gretzky from the Edmonton Oilers to the Los Angeles Kings. I remember hearing about it at work from someone and thought it had to be a joke.

I cannot think of a bigger trade of a bigger name of any player in a team sport. Ever. (By the time OJ Simpson and Joe Montana got traded, they were near the end of their careers while Gretzky was still very much in his prime.)

What other major trades would you put in the same category?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I believe that A-Rod fella was still a pretty big deal when he got traded a few years back.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

The Dodgers trading minor league catcher Cliff Dapper to the Atlanta Crackers for Ernie Harwell

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The trades of Wilt Chamberlain and the trade of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar were pretty big in their day. Also, although everyone knew it was a swindle at the time, the trade of Frank Robinson to the Orioles by the Reds.

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

The trade of Hershel Walker from the Cowboys to the Minnesota Vikings might be in the running for biggest trade (or, as our friend Wikipedia says, "The Great Train Robbery").

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Walker and Gretzky might be the two biggest in my lifetime.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

From a homer's standpoint the trade I loathed most was the Dodgers shipping Piazza to the Marlins.

Obviously love the Gretzky trade. Kings basically turned into Edmonton South with Gretzky, Coffey and Kurri.

Lakers trade for Kobe is top 5 of the last 20 years.

Lakers heist trade for Gasol was massive.

Another massive bummer was when the L.A. Rams traded Dickerson to the Colts.

For all of that, the trade of trades in my lifetime was Herschel Walker for all of the pieces that led to 3 Super Bowl titles in 4 years.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Today is also the 25th anniversary of the first complete night game at Wrigley Field, which occurred one night after the first rained out night game at Wrigley Field.

9. Armchair_QB

Gretzky's got to be the biggest in the last 30 years or so because of what it meant to the NHL as a whole.

As a kid, I remember Tom Seaver being dealt to Cincinnati as getting a lot of attention for some reason.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Babe Ruth

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I did think of the Dickerson trade, and the Walker trade. Walker was nowhere near the face of the league, in the manner that Gretzky was.

The only ones I can think of that was close was Kareem from Milwaukee to the LA Lakers and A-Rod from Texas to the Yankees.

The Gretzky trade would be the equivalent of Michael Jordan getting traded in his prime.

12. Armchair_QB

Forgot about Dickerson.

And, yeah, Ruth would have to be at the top of the list.

Draft saved Draft deleted