1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest Super Bowl MVP snub

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 27, 2008.

?

Yeah... yeah... yeah... Neil O'Donnell, hands down! Now that we have that out of the system...

1. Max McGee, Packers, I (7 catches, 138 yards, two spectacular TDs)

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. Matt Snell, Jets, III (121 rushing yards, Jets' only TD)

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Rod Martin, Raiders, XV (three interceptions, one fumble recovery)

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. James Washington, Cowboys, XXVIII (11 tackles, forced fumble, interception, fumble return for tying

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  5. Other

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Three of these guys victimized by the quarterback fixation.

2. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

How about Wilber Marshall in XXVI? Probably one of many defensive players overlooked through the years.

Marshall finished with 11 tackles, one sack, a pass defensed and two forced fumbles. He played on another level in that game. A lot of his hits were just brutal.

Rypien had a great game, but that O-line could've made a lot of average QBs look like MVPs.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Washington and Martin were screwed. No offense to Snell, but no person was going to vote against Namath in that election.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Neil O'Donnel?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I voted for James Washington, but Adam Vinatieri in SB XXXVI deserves mentioning. Brady had an average, if not terrible game (something like 120 yards and one TD that was a spectacular catch, IIRC), and nobody else really stood out. Vinatieri hit the game-winner, another field goal, and was as good a pick as anybody else.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

You could make a good case for Ty Law in that game as well.

The MVP of last year's Super Bowl should have been Dominic Rhodes (113 yards rushing, 1 TD, 1 rec. for 8 yds). Manning threw for 247 yards and a TD, but also a pick and lost a fumble.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ha. Better than Larry Brown, whose entire contribution was catching the two easiest interceptions in Super Bowl history.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Boo Hoo

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

For me, this list starts with Thurman Thomas against the Giants. I don't care if the Bills lost that game, to me that day, he was the best player on the field.

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

Manny Fernandez, SB VII

Draft saved Draft deleted