1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest Spread in NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not buying it. Vegas moves the line where the money falls on either side, uses one side to pay the other, and makes a mint off the juice.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Not buying what? In a perfect world Vegas gets $1 million on the Pats and $1 million on the Jets and clears the juice. Doesn't always happen though. If the Pats open at 17 and jump to 23 that means the public is betting the favorite. When the favorite wins by 28, Vegas gets pounded.

3. Football_Bat

Not buying that Vegas is losing money on the Pats.

Your "perfect world" scenario is how the sports books actually operate. They establish the line as I described before. If they have to move it up as high as 42 1/2, they either move it there (if there's enough action to make it worth their while) or they pull it off the board (the more likely thing done).

It's the Patriots, so there's a lot of interest in the game obviously. So Vegas is keeping it on the board ... just like there was a lot of interest in the 1976 Steelers.

And Vegas is making a helluva lot more than $200,000 on today's games (what $1M plus $1M would generate in juice). Add three zeroes and you've got it.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Since someone brought up cheerleaders to start this thread, allow me to post the best cheerleader pic ever.

Should be safe for work, but I will put the pic at the bottom of the post, and the link at the top.
    www.trojanwire.com/images/cheerleader-injury.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Football_Bat

EDIT: Moving it down to honor Chef's concerns.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Well... perfect world is all the money coming on one side and the other covering.

The guaranteed monmeymaker, though, and what they aim for, is what you wrote.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Vegas is getting killed by the Pats.

Every line moves up 4-6 points with them getting the entire action, and they are covering it up.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

'Cause McNabb went to "damned unlikely" in the interim . . .

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Please explain to me how Vegas is breaking even on the Patriots? If the the line opens at 17 and the public bets enough to move the line to 24 and the Pats still cover that means a shitload of cash was bet on the Pats at 17, 18, 19 etc. A line is moved to generate interest the other way. If the line keeps going up and the favorite covers Vegas loses. It is documented that Vegas has had rough years when the favorites win.

The $1 million was an example and not a statement of how much is bet on the game but in the $1 million example, the juice would only be $100K because someone is winning the other $1 million.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Which is more than he does.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Anyone who thinks Vegas gets pounded on anything ought to have his head examined.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I thought this was to be about a certain ESPN sideline reporter after her interview with Tom Brady...I just saw this...WOW!

Draft saved Draft deleted