1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest six-day newspapers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I always had the understanding that the least read section of the week was Saturday.

1. Sunday
    2. Friday
    3. Wednesday
    4. Monday
    5. Thursday
    6. Tuesday
    7. Saturday

Fridays have the weekend preview and Wednesdays have the food ads...

2. I don't think that'd be true in areas that are fanatical about their high school football, though.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Sports doesn't drive circulation. Never has, never will.
    And with most JOAs, both papers will technically be six-days and then, generally, they combine for a Sunday paper.
    Some papers have tried to shift some of their Sunday features to Saturday and it went over like a turd in the punch bowl.
    Some places sell more copies of the Sunday bulldog then the Saturday paper.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It was like that in Detroit until Knight Ridder sold the Freep to Gannett.

Now, both papers get a separate edition Monday-Saturday. Freep gets the only Sunday edition.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

We sell far fewer on Tuesday (followed closely by Monday) than any other day later in the week.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

You're kidding right? I know several papers that print more Saturday and Sunday papers during football season than out of season.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Even then, you would be talking about one-fourth of the year.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Apparently, a couple years before here, there was serious consideration given to dumping the Monday edition.

It's our smallest newshole of the week, and since we have a Sunday paper, it's not like people would miss terribly much.

9. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I really, really, REALLY don't know about that. At my last stop, the Sunday paper was huuuuuuge because of the local college football team. Think that's probably the case for other papers that have hometown or nearby powerhouse programs with big, fanatical fanbases.

10. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Unless you dump something like Thursday, it's going to screw sports.

No Monday paper: NFL, NASCAR
    No Saturday: Preps

I've worked at a 6-dayer and love the fact of having every Sunday off no matter what, but I'd rather see ads on the front page than not publish for one day.

Also, FWIW Monday is one of our most-read days for the online edition. Thought is on our parts are that people at sitting at worked bored out of their minds.

Draft saved Draft deleted