1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest robberies in sports history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 2, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It was indeed pretty shitty of the league to hand the Knicks all of those championships.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Speaking of boxing robberies:

"We wuz robbed!"

-- Joe Jacobs after Max Schmeling to Jack Sharkey for the vacant heavyweight title on a decision.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

In fact, idiot, I was covering the Pine Tar Game.

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Obviously that was a missed call, and it's hard to fault Gruber because he did touch him, but goddamnit why didn't he just throw it to Alomar? He just had to run down the All-Pro DB, didn't he?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Spnited, the same thing happened to Ruth?

That game gives us one of my favorite clips of all time when Brett rushes out of that dugout.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

That also is one of Brett's favorite clips.
    He saw it in the Royals clubhouse about and hour after the game and almost fell of his chair laughing

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

And the ball touched the ground before Franco caught it. A friend of mine was a backup offensive lineman for the Raiders and he told me the refs would have been killed by the crowd if the touchdown had not been allowed. As for the 2002 Western Conference finals, the Kings did the best they could despite having to play 5-on-8. And let's not forget the 1973 Eastern Conference finals when Dick Bavetta should have just dressed in a Knicks uniform.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The tuck rule game. Up until that precise moment in NFL history, that play had always been called a fumble.

On the other side of the coin for the Raiders, the Stabler underhanded pass that was ruled a fumble that Casper kicked and dribbled for another 10 yards before falling on it in the end zone. That play also resulted in a rule change going forward.

9. Salt Lake City being awarded the 2002 Olympics

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Patriots fans considered that one to be karmic payback for the Ben Dreith roughing-the-passer call, widely seen as the biggest blown call in Boston sports history.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I thought that was bribery.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Ah, the Holy Roller. The best part of that is the replay that shows the San Diego Chicken on the scoreboard having what is likely a real heart attack.

Another robbery? Tom Brunansky running into the right field foul territory in the playoffs (90 ALCS?) to make a diving catch. Fans jump up and block the camera view of Brunansky. He emerges with his glove in the air. Ump signals out. He then runs back to the wall to pick something up. I remember the commentators questioning that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted