1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest robberies in sports history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Raiders-Patriots tuck rule call - 2002 AFC Divisional Playoff.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I am embarrassed I don't know the Roy Jones thing. Wiki, here I come.

3. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I edited to add in the explanation, but Hull put the puck in the crease before he got there (on the initial shot). Because he never lost possession of the puck in the ensuing sequence, he was allowed to be in the crease.

IIRC, a clarification memo was sent around the league in March of that year specifically talking about rebounds and how the crease rule applied to them.

4. mb

mb Active Member

Watch the video on youtube. Jones only outhit him something like 90 to 30.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

"Well, if he doesn't get the gold off, then there's something rotten in Korea, because that was one of the most dominant performances I've seen."

-Marv Albert, after Roy Jones' gold-medal fight but before the decision.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Mizzou fifth down.

Ironically, I spoke a few months ago with the head of officials that night, J.C. Louderback. He laughs about it now, but we don't.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Some of us do. :D

8. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

The worst thing about tonight's larceny is it really is probably a once-in-a-lifetime chance. When else are you going to be one out away from a perfect game. It's a tragedy. I hate it when refs determine history.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It. Wasn't. Done. On. Purpose.

If it was, a game that had 39 minutes and 57 seconds of no controversy suddenly had to hatch a massive conspiracy involving a half-dozen or more officials committed to replaying the final 3 seconds a dozen or more times if necessary to achieve their desired outcome.

Uh, huh.

Sounds about as reasonable as the 1919 Black Sox deciding --- all of a sudden --- to throw the Series with two out in the bottom of the ninth inning in Game 9 with the Series tied at 4-4 and the Sox leading 5-4.

Or the LAPD deciding --- all of a sudden --- to frame O.J. Simpson as they were gathering evidence the morning after the murders.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

At the rate we're going this year, somebody else should be there by tomorrow or the next day.....

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Jaguars-Browns bottlegate.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The opportunity to take down Goliath miraculously appeared (primarily through the U.S.'s own [i.e. Hank Iba] stupid strategy) and a little buck-toothed Brit decided he was gonna take it.

The mother fucking game was fixed.

However many times he had to reset the clock until the Soviets scored, R. William Jones was going to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted