1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest Pet Peeve

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yes

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Yep. It's like they don't want to bruise this offering from their guts. Same with poop. It always has to have its fall cushioned, apparently, by carpet (in the very rare inside occurrences) or tall grass. Not on dirt or concrete. Tall grass. I'd say my dog is nuts, but he's the one getting free room and board and carte blanche from pretty girls to stick his nose wherever and whenever. Dumb animal, indeed.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Guilty as charged, then.

Hint: If you want to get there quicker, leave the house earlier.

4. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

The left lane is the "passing" lane.....if you're going 65mph and passing cars fine, but once you have an opening move over.

One of the few things Europe has right is driving. They never cruise along in the left lane, you drive on the right until you need to pass, once you pass, you're in the right lane again. It's easy people.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You're right.

But people going 80 mph, zig-zagging in and out of lanes, are about 23,000 times more dangerous.

I find it safer to stay where I am and not risk changing lanes at the exact same time as the 80 mph asshole who has just run up behind me.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Hypersensitivity, as in people getting all worked up about Ozzie Guillen/Jay Mariotti.

And slow drivers in the left lane.

And the spazzes who cannot seem to drive and talk on the cell phone at the same time. If driving is that damn difficult for you, then pull off to the side of the road while you're yapping.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

BTE's got a point.

But ... there is also a sign posted that says "Slower traffic, keep right." And whether you're going the speed limit, or you're considerably above it, it's still your responsibility to get out of the far-left lane if there are multiple cars passing you on the freeway. Doesn't matter how fast you're going, or how slow.

If it's one idiot weaving in and out, that's fine. They'll go around you. However, if you get passed more than 2-3 times during, say, even a 15-minute commute on the freeway, then you need to get into a different lane. Your responsibility to yield to faster traffic supercedes your "right" to be in the left lane. It's courteous and it's safer.

(And I understand that other drivers are not being safe or courteous themselves by speeding or tailgating, but it's not your job to practice vigilante justice by impeding the fast lane. It only makes things worse, inspiring road rage on both parties. It ain't your fight to fight.)

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

thank you Buck......in Europe the "idiots" keep their left blinker on if they plan on staying in the left lane and driving as fast as they wish...and it works great. Unless you have a badge, don't try to enforce the speed limit.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I have a bunch, but the one that overrides the rest by far is people not being on time, or events not starting or ending on time. It especially pisses me off when people are going to be late and don't call to let you know. In fact I am getting really pissed off just typing this.

10. Stupid

Stupid Member

People who make a $10 or less purchase with a credit or debit card, holding up the line while they punch in their numbers. Unless there's some extenuating circumstances, you pay cash, you have it in your hand when the clerk asks for it and you're taken care of in seconds.

11. Actually, I question whether or not paying cash is faster than a credit or debit card. I think I can get through the self-checkout line faster with a credit card than with feeding bills into the machine. I KNOW I can get through the self checkout line faster with a credit card than I can paying cash to a cashier who is slow moving because she's blabbing with her friends, has to wait for more quarters, etc.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

GUILTY as charged on that one. I use my credit/debit card all the freakin time for stuff less than $10. In fact, just today I got some sweet tea and chewing gum for $1.10 -- put it on the debit card.

** I can't stand it when people show up late. I understand traffic but it's those people who think 5-10 minutes, fashionably late crap is AOK. Eerrrr, that burns my britches. Why do people think it's COOL to be LATE?

Draft saved Draft deleted