1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

biggest pet peeve of angry readers...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JD Canon, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

It's not a puffy, wool sweater.
    It's cotton and wears like a sweatshirt.
    What's the definition of a sweatshirt?
    And ya, khakis. Dockers....ya know that commercial with the guy wearing em to work then to the beach and then out golfing. those.
    And I can't believe the direction this thread has taken. heh

2. Brain of J,

Don't take this the wrong way because I don't know anything about you personally or your career arc. But several times you've come on here complaining about some perceived slight, real or otherwise, from either your readers and/or your boss. You either need to develop thicker skin, find a new paper or find a new profession. If you continue to let every little thing get to you, you're going to develop one hell of an ulcer.

3. girl friday

girl friday Member

Ellis is right. You need a very thick skin to be in this business -- it's one of the few jobs in the world where if you make a mistake, it's in front of thousands of people, all of whom think they have the right to slam you for it.

Having your name mis-spelled or getting a complaint about how you dress is, unfortunately, par for the course. The really heavy stuff is when someone writes to tell you that were it not for affirmative action, you probably wouldn't have a job, or that, as a woman, you might be better suited for Ladies Home Journal than the Podunk Journal.

Not that I know anything about either of those situations.... :-X

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

And all this time I thought you were a guy.

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

My pet peeve when an angry readers shakes fire arm in my face and threatens to shoot. I've always had a big problem with that one.

6. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

hey, i bitched about the name spelling, not that brain of j guy. i don't (think i) know him and would like not to be associated with him or his whining. i know for damn sure my skin is thick.

this is just the one chink in the armor. nothing else in this business will/has jade(d) me. i don't mind all the cheapness and all of that. i kind of posted the thread as a joke originally, but i guess i'm not that funny.

and hey, the past week, our online editor has been mispelling my name on our web site. i asked her politely to change it, and she got it wrong again. believe me, it's not that hard of a name to spell.

i'm still deciding whether this whole experience is mellowing me out on the name mispell thing or whether i need to look up her address and lay down some street justice.

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Maybe he just needs to get more attractive clothes. I must say that sweater/sweatshirt number sounds like a fashion disaster [/guyfromqueereye]

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

ALBATROSS! BLOODY ALBATROSS!

[​IMG]

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

More often than not people complain about some benchwarmer or sub-varsity level sport not getting covered. Way back in the day, the church bells rang when you were born, when you married and when you died. Same thing with getting your name in the paper. Guess that's not sufficient anymore.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The church bell rings when you get your name in the paper? Cool.

11. girl friday

girl friday Member

angola! -- with a name like girl friday?? did you forget to use blue??

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

GF, just go ahead and get the restraining order now. Trust me.

Draft saved Draft deleted