1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest pet peeve in sports today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Zooming in and reading the scoreboard, it’s Game 5 of the 1961 World Series. Wally Post just hit a three-run shot for the Reds. Yankees won 13-5 and won the Series. If you look at the lineups, you see Maris playing in center field because Mantle sat out most of the Series with some sort of abscess in his hip that was caused by a quack doctor putting a bad injection in there.

1961 World Series Game 5, New York Yankees at Cincinnati Reds, October 9, 1961 | Baseball-Reference.com

Splendid Splinter and Dog8Cats like this.
  2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

micro-

If the coach takes one step out of the designated box or takes one step onto the field, the timeout gets voided or there's a 10-second runoff. That will put an end to that horseshit.

But really, by now there should just be an electronic means to signify a timeout.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

"Student-athletes" as my TV screen keeps shouting at me.

No.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Shouldn’t there be a sensor in a football that sets off a signal if the ball crosses the plane of the goal line or makes a 1st down. Is ball placement the most arbitrary action in sports?

Octave likes this.
  5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I've never understood why there isn't. There is no excuse - simply none - for a bad spot in football, either.

Why the chain gang is even used anymore - who the fuck knows. Some odd nod to quaintness.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I grew up in the era at Dodger Stadium where there were only a couple small signs for Union 76 gas stations.

[​IMG]

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

March Madness not starting today - Thursday - as it should.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Funny ... I'm moderating a few postgame press conferences this weekend since my university is one of the tournament "hosts", and I joked with my wife that she should take a drink every time I have to say "student-athlete." But on the NCAA-provided script that I got, "student-athlete" is nowhere to be found. I was stunned.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Too many studio shows, too many talking heads, too much analysis.

OscarMadison, misterbc and HanSenSE like this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the chain gang - but that chain has no reason to exist any more. Sensor on the sticks, sensor in the ball. If it's a first down, the CHAIN LIGHTS UP Green, if not a big fat red X and the fans GO CRAZY. The biggest problem is where they say the ball was down, when they are really just guessing because of knees and elbows.

misterbc and Octave like this.
  11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Same reason tennis wants to keep around line judges, despite great success with technology in some of the bubble events.

Roland Garros was still inspecting ball marks after the world got creamed by pandemic.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The NFL and every shitty thing it does.

Draft saved Draft deleted