1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest pet peeve in sports today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I miss going to a game where I'm not bombarded by light, sound and advertising (simultaneously).

When I was a kid Shea sounded like a rock concert between innings, but at least it was mostly chart-toppers and not filler garbage.

There was a reason bigtime rock bands played there- it had a heck of a sound system for its time. Now they're all like that and they all seem to abuse it.

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That really sucks. Everyone knows every foul in the last few minutes is intentional. Call it.

stop fucking with the rules to get a desired outcome. Man on second for extra innings. stupid. Rules should be designed so that the offense and the defense are even.

Overtime is either a set time to play and who ever is winning at the end of the extra time wins. Or sudden death. But with kickers nailing things regularly for 55 yards. And QBs being able to move 40 yards in a minute, sudden death doesn’t work in the NFL. Play out 10 minutes of real football. Not this BS.

3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

The K ball guaranteed more overtimes, more 55-yarders at triple-zero, more Alcoa Fantastic Finishes.
    Instituted by the NFL in 1999 because it was believed kickers were fiddling with their balls.
    More 'excitement' = more game = more advertising bucks for the league.

If I'm not mistaken, 'clocking' the ball (a bullshit announcer term I hate) in the final two minutes is not recorded as an incomplete pass in the QB's statistics.
    I have to check on that (please don't jump my ass over it).

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Overtime timeouts should be abolished.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Shitfuck

OscarMadison and Baron Scicluna like this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That they haven't brought back the 3 for 2.

heyabbott, swingline and Webster like this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

All timeouts that are called must come from the field or the court. No more of this BS of the coach running down the sidelines as the play clock expires.

In college FB, no taking two or three TOs in a row to ice the kicker. One and done, like the NFL rule.

In college BB, no automatic and-one on a drive. Half the time there's no contact at all, or it's initiated by the driver.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I miss clean looking stadiums. Can't look anywhere at MLB parks and hockey arenas and not see a bunch of ads. TV even projects ads on the glass and ice that aren't there. I know, that's why they do it.

Octave likes this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

To be fair, garish ads in baseball stadiums have been the norm EXCEPT for the cookie-cutter 70s, an era which draws almost universal scorn.

[​IMG]

Patchen and heyabbott like this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I miss the huge Longines clocks that used to be in almost every MLB stadium.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Swatch > Longines

12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

The endless cackling on studio shows. Dudes, you're not that funny.

swingline and heyabbott like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted