1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest pet peeve in sports today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

He’s family.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

So that would apply for all pass attempts? For the entire game or just in certain situations?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Once you reach the double bonus, a foul should equal one point and possession out of bounds. This is the way.

I’m still giving it a pass for the last few weeks of pandemic restrictions, but when everything opens back up and these cheap-ass networks still have announcers calling games from home, I’m going to lose my shit. Terrible quality.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

All pass attempts.

Also don't like rules changing based on the whim of time left on the clock. Sick of the final two minutes of any event taking 15 minutes.

It's all done under the guise of creating "exciting" finishes.

Sounds good enough.

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I hear ya. The Puppy Bowl is for critters looking for homes.
    BTW, they are available on Discovery+ along with a dozen other shows with "Pet," "Dog," "Cat.", "Breed." and "Cute" in the titles, all of which are on my watch list.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Nonstop commercials during NFL and college football games (they might be constant during MLB games, too, but I no longer get any of those).

I remember as a kid, it was annoying how --unlike any other NFL game -- they showed commercials at every possible break in the action during the Super Bowl. Now you can't tell the difference.

Team scores a touchdown ... oh wait, need a replay review (commercials). It stands as a touchdown, kick the extra point (commercials). Let's have a kickoff that is almost always a touchback (commercials). OK, now we can let the other team begin its drive.

That's saying nothing of the announcer-read promos and on-screen ads that are shown between plays.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

How long it takes for an AB and lack of balls in play.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

- The possession arrow for jump balls in college basketball. If there’s a tie-up, make them jump for it.

- NASCAR’s green-white-checker finishes that add laps to the race. It’s so contrived it almost feels like you’re trying to do-over the race. It would be like adding extra outs if a team is behind by six runs in the ninth just to see if they can catch up and make a comeback..

- Too many college bowls. When I was a kid, a bowl was a reward for a team that had a really good season, not a sub-.500 team. Even worse, it sucks when a crappy team celebrates making a bowl. “We’ve now had 8 straight bowl seasons” boasts 5-7 State U., which ignores that 6 of the bowls were either the Weedeater Bowl or the Potato Bowl.

- NBC hyping up the Olympics. We get it, you’re televising it and doing cross-promotion. But let’s not pretend that you’re really doing it because the stories may be interesting. They’re just glorified commercials.

- At the other end, ESPN burying the NHL just because they don’t televise them.

I’m sure there are others that’ll pop in my head.

cyclingwriter2 and heyabbott like this.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Uniforms in any/every sport with insufficient contrast between the uniform color and the numbers/ lettering to be obviously visible on teevee (as well as to the naked eye).
    White on yellow. Charcoal on black. Gray on navy blue, Off-white on white, etc etc etc etc bullshit.

Oh, and while we're at it with that, we can throw in the use of uniform fonts using exaggerated skinny/elongated typefaces, enough so to make the numerals almost illegible. Put a hammer on that shit too.

Patchen, Mngwa and FileNotFound like this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

@Baron Scicluna, the NFL and ESPN just recently signed a rights/broadcasting deal. For six years, I think.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You mean NHL?

12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

There is a problem with a sport when you're forced to break rules actively (i.e., repetitive intentional fouling) to try to win. That sucks.

BTExpress and heyabbott like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted