1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest pet peeve in sports today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Mar 18, 2021.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I totally agree. But since it's been here for three or four decades, let's meet halfway on it and speed up the game. But for sure, the first choice should be you don't get to move it up just because there's 1.5 seconds left and you failed to defend.

John likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Moving the ball to mid court on a timeout in the final 2:00 is actually about 55 years old, although it's remarkably hard to track down when it actually did happen.
    There's no record in the official NBA rules evolution timeline as to when the rule was changed and even some people who were there seem kinda foggy over the exact chronology.
    From watching the fragmentary game clips available on YouTube it appears the rule was not in effect in 1964 but it was in 66.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Extreme recency bias for sure, but hockey fans whining that broadcasters jinxed a shutout by talking about it is really lame.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Same for no- hitters.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Daron Sutton joining the Angels broadcast team was a revelation for a few games. Now, the guy never stops talking ... never. And he has adopted the goddamn "exit velocity" for EVERY batter. Justin Upton hit a routine grounder to second. "He hit that ball hard, 102 exit velocity." Geezus, save it for homers.

P.S. -- They are overdoing it on spin rate, too. I'm waiting for "How did he ever generate a 105 exit velocity when that curveball had a 2,200 spin rate."

(SAD FACE)

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Exit velocity and launch angle are the best indicators of future success or future struggles. It’s what the teams are looking at, above even results, at the plate during spring training.

The announcer doesn’t need to mention it every at-bat, but I want it available on-screen as much as possible.

OscarMadison, 2muchcoffeeman and JC like this.
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'll echo that with Orel Hershiser in the Dodgers booth. He never shuts up. I was spoiled most of my life with Vin Scully in a one-man booth. Two-man, and three now for the Angels, are too many. It often leads into talk about what they had for dinner and what they listen to on the radio.
    Also, Vin was never a homer and with Orel, there is some "we" in his commentary.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    OscarMadison and ChrisLong like this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

What would help is if the analysts helped explain some of the terms they're using (if they can). Not just baseball, but in football. If you're gonna keep referencing quarterback ratings, explain what the hell it is and how it's determined.

Example: I covered a small school district that would impose a form of a parcel tax on new developments to cover expenses of educating students entering the district from the development. My editor thought there should be an explanation of what the tax was in every story I referenced it. Finally came up with a simple explanatory paragraph (simpler than what I wrote above), kept it in a file and copy-and-pasted it into every story, with his blessing.

OscarMadison and I Should Coco like this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

First, it's a passer rating -- in fact, I believe that is actually the official name of the NFL stat -- not a "quarterback rating."

Is the college rating still called "passing efficiency"?

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What does QBR stand for?
    2020 NFL Season Leaders Total QBR | ESPN

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

HanSenSE and poindexter like this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

So what's the most indicative individual stat for QB? Yards per completion?

Draft saved Draft deleted