1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest pet peeve in sports today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Got to have some gap control with the terminology. When you get into a rhythm, hit 'em with an explosive term.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I heard a guy on Finebaum Friday, a name media trend analyst, who was saying the same thing. The context was that they were talking about ESPN being dicks about letting their talent do a bit of analysis or a hit on a competitor's show. The first thing he said was that this was narrow-minded, old media thinking. Letting your guys do a side bit as a commentator or contribute to another show helps raise their profiles and make them more visible and thus more valuable. Also, there are a lot of people doing this sort of independent work, and the talent involved wants the freedom to take a shot at that extra gig, money, and exposure, that you risked alienating your up-and-comers. The other was that it was becoming increasingly obvious that the medium was unimportant, that it didn't matter if your product was consumed on a TV, a computer or Ipad, a phone, podcast, or some other streaming device. It's all one big river of income and they need to embrace it instead of trying to fence off their TV product. He said that he expected that within ten years you'd see a device in your home that combined features of a TV, PC, phone, stereo, all in one screened device. It wouldn't surprise me, we're close to that now.

The other good line was what masters of media the NFL are, as evidenced by their announcing a reduction in the salary cap on the same day as a new TV contract worth $113 billion.

maumann and I Should Coco like this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

upload_2021-3-22_0-2-9.jpeg

OscarMadison and Mngwa like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah. Could use a picture of an iphone too, or a TV and phone beside an Alexa device. I took it as more in the way of the big screen on the wall doing it, probably via voice commands, and such being commonplace in people's homes.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Isn't that what made Madden so popular? He'd get the telistrater and go, "This guy goes here, this guy goes there, and BAM! Hits him like a Mack truck."

6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Up With People makes me want to file for a species change.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

For them or for you?

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also, quarterback rankings. Can anyone explain how one is determined before treating the number like it's the Holy Grail? It's just as bad in baseball, when they start throwing around terms like WHIP, WAR and slashline and assume everyone know what they mean.

Then there's this in hockey.

playthrough, maumann and Tighthead like this.
  9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

What do you mean expanding? I played on a D3 football team from 1987-90 and we had more than 100 on the team then.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

VAR in soccer and the replay reviews and the end of NBA games are just brutal.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

NBA timeouts (and I think women's college basketball) where a timeout late in the fourth quarter/overtime allows you to move the ball to the frontcourt.

Compromise: You can move the ball to the frontcourt, but it's inbounded immediately, no huddling for a timeout to design a play. Or you can huddle/design a play, but you can't move the ball up 75 feet.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I agree with your complaint but not the compromise. Make them cover all the territory allotted on the playing surface. A timeout shouldn’t let you magically teleport halfway there like it was an ice cream cone card in Candy Land.

fossywriter8 and MileHigh like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted