1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest pet peeve in sports today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Let's hear it. Can be rules, can be players, etc.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My biggest pet peeve is that, without some sort of rule change, our golden retriever is too old to compete in the Puppy Bowl.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Jump shooters throwing themselves into defenders to draw a foul.

Tarheel316, Patchen, garrow and 3 others like this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

ESPN.com's Golf homepage still has March 13 "Westwood-DeChambeau Rematch at Players" as a Top Headline. LOL

5. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

That's a big one for me in the NBA. I also hate that every second shot is a three point attempt.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

There aren't many Iverson types who make their living on two-point jumpers. He might have been the last.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Saban cheats.

I think stats compiled in CFB overtime shouldn't count towards records.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe we've just gotten so used to leagues "leveling" the playing field with salary caps, draft and schedule maneuvering etc. - and maybe some people like the disparity in college football - how money rules everything, but it has really lessened my passion for the sport. This movie clip comes to mind when thinking about college football and the difference between the top 10 or so programs and everyone else. Even if the records are the same, the bigger TV draw and money magnet will always get the benefit of the doubt from the Playoff Committee.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Too much play review, across all sports.

I Should Coco and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Exactly. Takes 5 minutes to do the obvious. And they still miss stuff.

replay in baseball for anything other than fair/foul and HR is too much. In the neighborhood and tie goes to the runner worked for 100 years.

And if baseball wanted to get it right, there are a few umpires who would be better selling insurance or working in hardware store.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Pass interference in the NFL.

Baseball is damaged or broken. Costas and Posanski talk about it at length in a podcast from last week.

Stolen bases and pitchers working out of trouble need brought back into the game. The NFL and NBA have done major rules changes to make the game more enjoyable. MLB needs to take note.

Tighthead likes this.
  12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

This is my first thought. Too many nitpicky plays are reviewed. The spirit of the rule is not that physics lifts a guys foot off the bag for a split second and he's called out.

And does every touchdown really need to be reviewed?

Breaking the plane bothers me too. Make the ball carrier take the ball into the end zone, not just poke the nose passed the goal line. And why can a runner poke the ball and then lose it and it's a touchdown, but a receiver must have full possession and complete the catch?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted