1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest news stories of your lifetime

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agreed. I don't get it. Don't think it even belongs in the same conversation with the other events discussed here.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Diana's death certainly occupied a lot of airtime. Maybe people are just quantifying the coverage. The press sure made it seem important.

If so, that's on us.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Same with OJ.

4. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

I wasn't personally affected by Princess Di's death. Ditto O.J., though I do rememeber my junior year history teacher turning the radio on so we could hear the verdict being read. Roger Craig's daughter sure cheered.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There were elements of race and fame and domestic violence and the cost of justice in America that, I think, elevated O.J. above a standard-issue tabloid peep show. I really believe that.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sure, but it doesn't even sniff my Top 10?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, I got the understanding we were talking about specific EVENTS and their impact (Long-term and short-term), rather than trends (which would be an interesting thread all its own).

When I say trends I mean things that don't happen overnight, like development of the internet, cell phones/smart phones, drug war, rise of Islam, AIDS crisis, long-term recession, climate change, etc.

8. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Headlines should have been:

"Princess Dies."

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Dec. 19, 1990: Alyssa Milano turns 18.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Top 5 major world news events that had an impact on my life:

1. Hurricane Katrina. My community and I were right in the middle of it.

2. 9/11. Led directly to my son spending this Christmas in Afghanistan.

3. JFK. I was living in Houston at the time.

4. Munich Olympics. Was on my way to the church for my best friend's funeral when we heard the news that they were all killed.

5. Challenger explosion. A teacher from our area was next in line to fly that mission, if Christa McAuliffe had not been able to.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Chronologically (of those I remember)

Watergate
    Munich Olympics (obviously just a link in a chain, but the first link I was aware of)
    Soviet Union breaks up
    The Internet
    9/11

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This list could go a lot of ways, but I always thought Kent State should be very high since our troops killed our citizens on our soil.

Newton would be down on the list, though. It's tragic, but Katrina and 9/11 would push it down the list for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted