1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Biggest Loser' Finale

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Dec 13, 2006.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I am watching this guy on the Today show--wow. Lost 214 pounds in 9 months....from 407 to 193. Awesome.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if you were a chubby chaser, would you watch this show with an increasing sense of despair?

3. I kinda like the show, my only problem with it, however, is the way it's carried out. I watched one episode where someone, a female, actually gained weight for a weigh-in so they would be viewed as less of a threat than the guy who lost the most, and he got voted out. HELLO, isn't the point of the show to lose friggen weight? They get too caught up in this alliance stuff. They should just eliminate the bottom one or two people very show based on weight-loss percentage.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Yeah but a significant weight loss like that isn't always the best thing either. Optimally, you should be losing two to five pounds a week so as not to overtax and shock your system. Also, I believe people who lose massive amounts of weight in a constrained period of time are more likely to gain that weight back.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

WHA?????? reality shows don't have a bearing on the lives of us ordinary joe schlabotniks? next you'll tell me that if me and 10 other SportsJournalists.commers got stranded on a deserted island we wouldn't do as well as the survivor contestants! say it ain't so.

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Have you seen the winner? Eric? He's not going to gain the weight back. The guy has guns like you wouldn't believe. I mean, this dude lost more than 200 pounds. Think about that for a minute. As for how quickly he lost weight, it's not as dramatic as you might think. He only lost about five pounds per week over that period. And much of it was that early weight, which usually melts off fairly easily.

And they don't starve them. One trainer actually told a guy that he was concerned that he wasn't eating enough. If people aren't eating, it's their personal choice, though it might be based upon a desire to win. I'm sure the show knows that ratings matter.

Draft saved Draft deleted