1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest laughing-stock in pro sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 12, 2007.

?

Which of these teams should be demoted/disbanded/contracted because every level of their operation i

1. Oakland Raiders

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. New York Knicks

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. Florida Marlins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Chicago Blackhawks

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. Atlanta Hawks/Thrashers

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Detriot Lions

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  7. Los Angeles Clippers

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  8. Kansas City Royals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Tampa Bay Devil Rays

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  10. Cleveland Browns

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  11. Baltimore Orioles

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. Pittsburgh Pirates

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

No problem here. One word: Bidwell.

2. How on God's decaying Earth did anyone create a list of pathetic pro teams without making the Pittsburgh Pirates the #1 candidate?

No team in professional baseball has EVER had 16 losing seasons in a row - next year is #16. I believe the record held by the Phillies is also the pro sports record for the big 4. The Pirates haven't been in the playoffs since 92 and haven't won a World Series since 1979.

They haven't had a Hall of Fame worthy candidate since Willie Stargell.

The only two players developed within their own farm system with 30 HR power were Barry Bonds and Aramis Ramirez.

We're talking about an organization of sickening ineptitude. The former CEO and majority owner Kevin McClatchy was more interested asking his friendly buddy Curtis Aiken to sit with him behind the plate for all to see. This team was so bad, Chip Ganassi said the 'hell with him' and wanted out.

Frank B Fuhrer, a wealthy and well-connected Pittsburgh area business man, was so insulted by McClatchy's personal and professional conduct, he sold his shares in the team. The family still has an interest in organizing a new group of owners to buyout Nutting, Beaver and McClatchy.

We're talking an organization who have lost the respect of all major agents because of the history of the owner, GM, etc. to force players to play injured, mis-diagnose injuries, and refuse to pay the bills for injured players. People should ask Bobby Bradley and J.R. House what they think of the organization.

This one is a slam dunk, no matter the NY (Isiah Thomas joke) or Boston (Danny Ainge stupidity) bias.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

That's exactly my point. Any team that has won multiple championships in the last 10 years AND constantly churn out top-quality prospects (Willis, Cabrera, Ramirez) should be drawing at least triple the average attendance at Dolphins Stadium. They also shouldn't be still bitching and moaning for funds for a new stadium. Loria should suck it up and pay from his deep, deep pocket.

As far as the candidates go, typewriter, it is a completely random order.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, except his No. 1 isn't even an option in your poll.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I know the Marlins aren't exactly tearing up the NL right now, but how can you even be considered a laughing stock when you've won two World Series titles in the last 10 years?

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

They aren't the biggest laughing stock, but I find it damn pathetic for them not to even be able to draw flies. The fans suck for not coming out, the marketing sucks for not doing their job well enough, and the ownership sucks for being so bull-headed about demanding a stadium built on public money.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I think it's obvious you're the only person who considers the Marlins a laughingstock. Bad fans and bad marketing doesn't make one a laughingstock in all of pro sports.

Not on the level of other teams you've neglected, like the aforementioned Pirates.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Baseball in south Florida was a bad idea; I think that's clear at this point. But to degrade the Marlins as a franchise is ludicrous. They've made it to the pinnacle twice in a decade.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Hasn't there been progress about a baseball-only stadium in Miami? And the Marlins have legitimate talent and have developed said talent since the team's inception.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm with typewriter, the fact that the Pirates aren't on here makes this list a complete joke.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Orioles should be on the list.

Cincinnati Bengals, too

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Bengals? They have one the best teams in the league.

Draft saved Draft deleted