1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest headline fails?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt Stephens, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

This may be old (granted, the date was in June), but one of my old designers shared this today and I couldn't believe it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Really makes you wonder whether the people at the plant even care at all about the paper they're printing. I'd bet that was a plant error, not a desk error.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Sort of like the placeholders on the OPs website. Mistakes happen, but at least a headline like that doesn't kill or hurt anyone, and we really need to remember that. Yes, it stinks, but after a while, it's a thing to laugh at.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. spnited

spnited Active Member

How can that be a plant error? Doesn't the desk have to output and release the page?

6. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

Does this count?
    [​IMG]

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Once saw a story about a family that had a lot of foster kids and also some exotic pets.

Headline: "Family adopts seven children - and even two monkeys!"

Give you one guess about the different races of the parent and two kids in the photo.

8. Matt Stephens

Sometimes we'll put random garbage to hold space and remind us that it's a 2-decker (or whatever). Now, when the pages are sent, you might think the press would call and ask "what's going on?" But ultimately, the copy editor let a big boo boo slip.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

We've had cases in the past -- at least two come to mind -- where we've sent and approved color plates but not black, but the plant took the black plates as well.

I do believe that's standard (sending color plates early) at most papers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

10. Matt Stephens

The press I've worked with the most (which also prints a Gannett paper on a daily basis) takes four times as long to do a color plate as it does a black and white. At least, that's what they tell us when we're sitting around for an hour wonder why it's taking so long for one page to take.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Not exactly a headline, but on the cover of the Mississippi State volleyball media guide in about 100 point font, that got mailed out to other schools before anyone caught the mistate:

Missippi State

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

They just tell you that. At my shop, a plate is a plate.

Draft saved Draft deleted