1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest disappointment of the NHL season so far

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Nov 23, 2007.

?

Which NHL team has been the biggest disappointment of the 2007-08 season

1. Pittsburgh Penguins

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Calgary Flames

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Los Angeles Kings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Washington Capitals

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. Anaheim Ducks

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

At the quarter poll for most teams in the NHL, thought it was worthwhile to discuss what team has been the NHL's biggest disappointment so far this season. There are some omissions of course — The above are my Top 5. Teams like Toronto, Edmonton, New Jersey, Phoenix, Columbus, etc. were left off because really, there was not much excitment about those teams being actual threats this year heading into the season.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

My vote is for Pittsburgh, all that talent and occupying the division basement. Ther defence is terrible, their goaltending has been questionable, and once you get past Crosby, Malkin and Sykora, there has been little scoring. Team is in troubl, needs a big shake up.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd throw in the Dallas Stars -- they struggled out of the gate and got their GM fired. Although they're playing better now, thanks in large part to a red-hot net-minder.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

My vote is for Washington. The Caps added a No. 1 setup centerman in Nylander and a decent defenseman in Poti, and the team just stinks on ice. Seemingly every night, Ovechkin has great games and it is not enough.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Active Member

I vote the Pens. I never bought into the hype in some circles that the Caps would be a contender this season. Most likely they are a year away. The Pens, however, haven't got it done and that's surprising. It all starts at goal and if Fleury can't get his act together (obviously he struggled and got the quick boot Thursday night), they've got to go another direction.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I agree Fleury's been awful. As for the Cappies, I thought that they'd be better than six wins.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Bruce Boudreau, who I covered down here in the ECHL, got the Caps job and I couldn't be happier for him. Always takes a phone call. Always has something quotable to say. Good luck to him in the show. I didn't think he'd ever get the call.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

He even <a href="http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Boudreau+gets+his+chance&articleId=888275ef-d321-4912-9620-ceee468a5b81">returned a call</a> from the Manchester (N.H.) paper's Monarchs beat guy yesterday.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

And one from me :)

Edit: Check that. He answered my call straight away.

10. JR

JR Active Member

Great quote, there:

"But you get on the ice, and holy smoke, they're listening to me," he said. "Men are men, and hockey is hockey."

Former Leaf, former Marlie. This guy's a real lifer. Bounced around the minors as a player and a coach.

Good luck.

11. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

good for you for reaching him and you had good content

so why write the AP lead?

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Kings were supposed to make the playoffs? They've got a few pieces, yes, but it's not there just yet. I'll be seeing them Dec. 1 against the visiting Avs.

Draft saved Draft deleted