1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest Choke in Sports History

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, May 4, 2007.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Hustle: As a kid, I attended three of those games the '64 Phillies lost down the stretch. I now see that not as a choke so much as a team that had played way, way over its head all season finally getting caught by the law of averages.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

uh, donnie nelson is in the mavs' front office. DON nelson coaches golden state.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Don Donnie

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I didn't read through 4 pages, but did anyone mention the '88 Athletics when Gibby's dinger sparked one of the great World Series upsets?

5. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

and you were kind enough to omit the 1985 ALCS choke job, too. :) (grumble ...)

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Don't see how the 86 Sox compare favorably (unfavorably) to the 2004 Yanks. The 86 Mets won a total of two games after the point when the Sox should have had it won (and let's face it, a Game 7 IN New York after the Game 6 theatrics certainly tipped the scales toward the Mets), whereas the Yankees lost four straight games after having the Sox by the short and curlies for the first three.

Regardless, the Mavs aren't even close to the top of this list. Pathetic. There's a reason they don't give trophies out for being the best in the regular season.

Draft saved Draft deleted