1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest baseball collapse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 1, 2007.

?

Simple: who had the biggest choke-job in baseball history?

1. '07 Mets

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. '04 Yankees (ALCS)

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. '03 Red Sox (ALCS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. '03 Cubs (NLCS)

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. '95 Angels

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  6. '93 Phillies (World Series)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. '88 Mets (NLCS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. '86 Angels (ALCS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. '86 Red Sox (World Series)

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  10. '84 Cubs (NLCS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. '78 Red Sox

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  12. '69 Cubs

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  13. '64 Phillies

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  14. '51 Dodgers (Shot Heard 'Round the World)

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. boots

boots New Member

Buck, we've talked about this before. Talent wise, the 07 Mets team was better than the 64 Phillies man to man. Neither one of those teams should've did a Linda Lovelace, but they did.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

How regular season and postseason collapses can be considered in the same poll amazes me.

Postseason: I'm still taking the '86 Sox. It was so sudden, so stunning. In 2004, there was more time for it to unfold. For the Sox, it was a matter of a couple days from start (Bob Stanley, thank you) to finish. Angels in the '86 ALCS also should be in this discussion.

Regular season: In my lifetime, it's this. Overall, I'd say it probably was '64.

3. boots

boots New Member

Good point about post season and regular season.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I would expect a fucking sore loser such as yourself to hang on to the black and white of mathematics at a time like this instead of pondering how change in baseball's landscape makes such a collapse a far greater "feat."

Anything to forget how much it must suck to root for a loser. No, a choker. No, the GREATEST CHOKERS OF ALL-TIME.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No shit, boots. At least you got the joke -- or something like that.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Clearly, Mike, it was a slow-moving pain for Gene.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The loss plagued him for years, for sure. And it finally took its toll.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Were you alive in 1964, BeeYaacH? Clearly you don't know what you're talking about then.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I forgot about the new rule. I guess that's way over my head, then. But ask me anything about the 1983 season, and I'm a fucking expert.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

When I want to know about the 1984 Tigers, I'll make sure to fucking PM you. Until then, shut your fucking mouth and stop stirring shit, Doc.

Go fuck yourself and have a happy this is the longest one-game playoff in baseball history day. (no idea if that's the case maybe the 112-year-old Boots can tell me)

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Let's try this one more time, shit for brains:

With 17 games to play, the Mets led by 7. They went into the last day of the season with an opportunity to win the division and/or tie for the wild card. They choked, the second-worst regular-season (actually 1B because it was close to the '64 Phils) collapse in baseball history.

With 12 games to play (five less) the '64 Phillies led by 6 1/2 (that's 1/2 game less if this math is too difficult for a feeble brain like yours). With 2 games left in the season, they were in THIRD place and already had been eliminated.
    A choke job for the ages and still the No. 1 all-time collapse in the regular-season.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

except Henke has 2 World Series rings and his postseason #s are probably
    way better than Williams'.

Draft saved Draft deleted