1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest baseball collapse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 1, 2007.

?

Simple: who had the biggest choke-job in baseball history?

1. '07 Mets

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. '04 Yankees (ALCS)

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. '03 Red Sox (ALCS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. '03 Cubs (NLCS)

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. '95 Angels

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  6. '93 Phillies (World Series)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. '88 Mets (NLCS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. '86 Angels (ALCS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. '86 Red Sox (World Series)

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  10. '84 Cubs (NLCS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. '78 Red Sox

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  12. '69 Cubs

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  13. '64 Phillies

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  14. '51 Dodgers (Shot Heard 'Round the World)

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

A game that I was at, sitting down the left field line. I still remember seeing the home run hit off the top of the fence and into the stands.

2. boots

boots New Member

Mike, Mauch died in 2005. What happened in '64 had nothing to do with it.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

2004 Yankees. You know the story: One inning away from the Yanks sweeping the Sox and going to their seventh World Series in nine years, with the best closer of all-time on the mound, rarely-used Dave Roberts barely steals second and Bill Mueller drives him in to tie it. David Ortiz crushes a two-run homer to win it in the 12th and force Game 5. Yanks lose the next three games, getting absolutely clobbered at Yankee Stadium 10-3 in Game 7.

Can't see it being topped anytime soon.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Stick to shit that's happened in your lifetime, Bucky. :D :D :D

And these Mets. By a mile.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

1964 Phillies, up 6 1/2 with 12 to play... lost 10 in a row... fell to third place ... were eliminated with two games to play! Won last two over Cincy to TIE Reds for second place.

Unequalled!

6. boots

boots New Member

Spnited, it's all relative. You could say the 78 Red Sox or a few other teams. The Mets are the latest to screw up. It was a total group effort.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hey, I was 9 in 1934. Do the math! I lived 1934!! I knew Bill Terry!!! My perspective is different than yours!!!! Have a nice Josh-Fogg-is-outpitching-Jake-Peavy-day!!!!! :D

(And you're still wrong. 6.5 with 12 to play > 7 with 17 to play. Besides, the Mets still had a chance in game 162. They were seven runs away from being the 2005 White Sox and barely relevant to this thread. The Phillies' collapse was epic -- although how cool would it have been if Willie had desperately thrown Pedro/Maine/Glavine out there on two days' rest for the final week? THAT would have been legendary, and still jaw-dropping 40 years later.)

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's actually not all relative.

Up 6.5 with 12 to play, for instance, surely isn't relative.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Until this weekend, when the Mets managed to fall out of the WILD CARD race too.

They led the Padres by 4 1/2 games when this collapse started. To blow a seven-game lead in the division in the wild card era AND STILL MISS THE PLAYOFFS ENTIRELY is the biggest choke ever. They had a fallback and they fell all the way past it.

Commence dickhead comments...now!

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

So they blew 4 1/2 to the Pods over 17 games? That's worse than 6 1/2 over 12 games?
    They still had a chance to win the division on the final day. The '64 Phils had no chance going into the final weekend, after leading by 6 1/2 games 10 games earlier.
    Guess they didn't teach math in Connecticut.

No dickhead comment needed. Fucking moron is more like it.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Mets gave themselves a chance on game 162. They blew that one, too ... but they were still in it on the final day of the regular season. If they win that one game ... they're a near-miss (near miss? near-HIT! [/carlin]) to this thread and no one's calling it the biggest collapse ever.

The Phillies' collapse was completely impossible, and yet they did it. The Mets' collapse has a lot of similarities to the Pirates' and Giants' collapses I posted, although they did it in slightly fewer time, which vaults it ahead of the pack.

The Phillies' collapse was. completely. impossible. There has never been anything like it. Never. And that includes this Mets team.

12. boots

boots New Member

Wait till next year.

Draft saved Draft deleted