1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest award mistake?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Bast Actor, 1989: Daniel Day-Lewis over Tom cruise.

Day-Lewis clearly was going to be a great actor for a long time. Cruise wasn't gonna be that good again.

Same year, best Picture: Driving Miss daisy over Born on the Fourth of July.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG]

Man-crush, perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm shocked this thread has gotten to the third page without a mention of Albom winning the Red Smith Award.

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Just a great performance that carried a movie that had an iffy scene or two.

Anyway . . .

Didn't Tim Duncan get NBA MVP in 2002? Should have been Jason Kidd, who transformed the Nets from a complete joke into contenders. Similar to Barkley getting it in 1993.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Kidd had 3.5 turnovers a game and shot 39.1 percent and still almost beat Duncan, in his best season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2002.html#mvp

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Chicago for Best Picture comes immediately to mind, and I'm sure the thread can be overrun with such instances from the Academy Awards.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My favorite 2002 movies were Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can, which weren't even finalists.

That year's finalists bored the shit out of me: Chicago, Gangs of New York, The Hours, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Pianist. I suppose I would have picked Gangs of New York from that group.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I loved that picture. That picture really brought home how from Vietnam forward, the military actions have been a crock of sh*t; if you are fortunate to be born here, you are indoctrinated/socialized that the greatest sacrifice you can do for your country is serve in the military. Except, um, when its not about defending the country, but carrying out the tactics of others who have no interest in your sacrifice.

Cruise's portrayal was spot on.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I had a film teacher at college tell me once that "when in doubt, always bet that the Oscar goes to the musical."

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

But only one triple and five steals (with two caught stealing).

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yeah, Mo really had the edge on the basepaths.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Me, when I didn't get nominated for my Ebert story. #overit #notreally

Draft saved Draft deleted