1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest award mistake?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 4, 2012.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

close. Ordinary People over Raging Bull. Dances With Wolves over Goodfellas.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

1974 Best Actor: Art Carney for Harry and Tonto over Al Pacino for The Godfather Part II, Jack Nicholson for Chinatown and Dustin Hoffman for Lenny.

1964 Best Director: George Cukor for My Fair Lady over Stanley Kubrick for Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.
    1972 Best Director: Bob Fosse for Cabaret over Francis Ford Coppola for The Godfather and John Boorman for Deliverance.
    1980 Best Director: Robert Redford for Ordinary People over Martin Scorsese for Raging Bull.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I thought of this. ... and it is a mistake. But even bigger was Ordinary People over Raging Bull.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It's not a postseason thing technically, but Jerry Lucas over Roger Maris for SI Sportsman of the Year in 1961 remains outrageous to the good folks in Fargo, and elsewhere. Lucas had a great year...he didn't break the most famous record in sports and do it while dealing with the media vultures.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nothing, but it is part of Manky's trolling routine.

This is a guy who has used that same argument while whining about Mauer getting the MVP over Jeter in 2009. Maybe even he has finally realized how dumb that particular argument is.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Right on the first part, wrong on the second. The guy who should've won it that year was Antwaan Randle El--I don't care what his team's record was, El was the clearly the best player in the country that year.

Other Heisman WTFs that come to mind are Ingram over Suh, and Gino Torretta and Jason White over whoever (can't immediately recall who was second those years, but surely there must've been better options, right?).

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agreed, and as long as were doing the SOY category, I'll nominate Joe Paterno over Larry Bird in 86.

Although, admittedly, my case there is aided by hindsight. But it was also quite a bad choice at the time.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And it's even more absurd there, since Mauer's plaque will be hanging right down the hall from Jeter's in a few years.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Of course, Jeter should be MVP every year. Greatest player who ever lived. [/bluefont]

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Jethro Tull for the first Heavy Metal Grammy Award

Phil Rizzuto for the Baseball HOF.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Indeed, while people were arguing about fucking baseball MVPs and the fucking Heisman I addressed this injustice (for all) on page one!

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I have accepted Mauer as 2009 MVP. He is on a Hall of Fame path, although he hasn't yet come close to matching his numbers from '09. Jeter is more likely to win an MVP going forward than Mauer.

Draft saved Draft deleted