1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest annual U.S. sporting events

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. X, Apr 6, 2008.

1. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

^Agreed there, too.

The course I played back in high school had a guy sitting at the bar every day taking bets on Churchill and Keeneland when each was open. Not to mention the gambling that happened on the course. There were a few regulars who played games that were topping $500 a hole.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

This post is funny because it ended up right below a post about the Putt-Putt Skins Championships.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Then you have to include the Olympics somewhere.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Olympics is not an annual event.

5. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I decided to keep the Olympics out of this discussion by limiting this to annual events.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Nor is it usually held in the U.S. Might have well as mentioned the World Cup.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Neither are the NBA Finals, depending on who's playing.

Okay, I get it. Missed the annual requirement.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The NCAA Tournament would be only a fraction as popular without brackets. Millions of folks who don't watch 15 minutes of regular-season hoops fill out a sheet.

I'd put the Derby in my top-5 list. I'm biased as a horse-racing fan, but I also think it's a testament to the Derby that a country which has largely left the sport for dead still makes sure to watch those 2 minutes every May.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

And if it weren't for gamblers and non-fans who go to parties, the Super Bowl wouldn't be as big as it is, either.

Top 5:

Super Bowl
    NCAA hoops
    Kentucky Derby
    World Series
    Masters

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Daytona has to on that list if you live south of the Mason-Dixon.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There still has to be a low, low spot on the ladder for the Stanley Cup, right?

Right?

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He doesn't, so it doesn't. And I agree with his list - probably because I am a cranky (and insulting) old bastard, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted