1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest annual U.S. sporting events

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. X, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This seems like an appropriate place to ask, how much of the Super Bowl and NCAA tournament's popularity among the general populace has to do with gambling?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Only if you count "friendly" pools as gambling.
    I haven't met anybody in nearly 20 years who had an illegal bookmaker. I knew one guy who bet online when it was easily available. Not sure how common that is now that GWB's Justice Dept. put the kibosh on that. Real gambling as a cause for sporting popularity is overrated.

4. Steak Snabler

Of course friendly pools (if money is involved) are gambling. So are money fantasy baseball and football leagues.

I'm not making a moral or legal judgment on either, but by definition they're the same as betting through a bookie.

5. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Biggest in terms of what has the biggest interest among the public, what leads to lots of conversation and media coverage.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Tell me when you'll be around Kentucky. I'll introduce you to my brother. Then you can't say the above any more.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

A big part of the Super Bowl's appeal could be the party that is usually associated with it.

Same with the NCAA Tournament, although substitute brackets for party.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

After the Super Bowl, this seems to be a race for second place.

I would almost argue that the US Open is bigger in golf than the Masters because of the regional qualifying.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Rasslemania?

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

As soon as I read that, I knew Twoback didn't go to many Derby parties.

I know so many people who run books for Derby and Oaks it's not funny. And the Derby's popularity is almost solely because of gambling. Sure, it's a lot of fun to get together and have a party, sip on some mint juleps and cook out in the backyard. But the men in my family taught me how to play the horses almost as soon as I was out of diapers.

11. Steak Snabler

Either that, or spend some time around your local golf course.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Do they still have Putt-Putt Skins Championships?

Draft saved Draft deleted