1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bigger story: Appy State or Boston no-hitter?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Sep 1, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Which means in a lot of places neither makes the sports front, other than reefers.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

As far as the freshness goes, I'd be interested to see what happens when a big upset happens in a noon NFL game and something similar happens in baseball late.
    I'd wager a dollar that ESPN would lead with the NFL in that case.

3. No reason to fight. We've all had moments where we misread or responded too quickly.

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Yes, Junkie, I did misread. My apologies.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

What, you mean the Yankee game didn't lead SportsCenter?

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The Appalachian State result... and finish ... is still more unlikely.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm still thinking some of the Big 10 Network deal had to play in this. I guarantee more people were interested in the App. State-Michigan game. Some people didn't get to see 1,000 highlights of it already. And also remember, in a good chunk of the country, baseball stopped sometime around 7 p.m. Thursday.
    If it's "old news" seven hours after it is over, find a fresh angle with it. Newspaper people have to do that all that time. That doesn't mean that we automatically downplay a great news story.
    Someone said this is the third no-hitter this year.
    How does that compare to the first time a I-AA team has beaten an AP top 25?
    I don't see it.
    It is not like this happened to a Wazzu team just having an up year. It was Michigan.
    Biggest on-field story of the day and week. No question about it.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

App State was the right lead, and it isn't even close.

There are some stories that are so big, their bigness lasts not hours, but a whole freakin' day.

Because we work in sports, and we hear about a story all day, we think that by 11pm, people are "tired" of a story. Wrong - most people have been out doing their Saturday thing, going to a game, hanging with friends, whatever.

No hitters get forgotten pretty quickly. Off the top of your head, name the last 3 no-hitters.

I was looking at some ratings for last week. MLB's are piss poor.

Do you know that LLWS on ABC out-rated a day of MLB on FOX which included Mets and Red Sox?

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Appy State is the bigger story, but the no-hitter had newsworthiness AND immediacy. People turned to SportsCenter knowing Appy had won. A lot of them probably had no idea about the no-hitter. If SC led with a random West Coast game, I could see the hue and cry, but this was a defensible (and ultimately correct) call.

This morning, with both stories a day old, SC led with Appy.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Exactly. The line was, "Boston will have to wait..." Reason set in.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Guess which led in papers here! No prizes awarded.
    In fairness to ESPN, they had just run football interspersed with scoreboard/highlight shows all day. Leading with a nighttime no-hitter was certainly justifiable, especially since it was done by a rookie making an emergency start in a pennant race.
    In pure evaluation of import, A-State win was bigger. News decisions are seldom pure in any sense.

12. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Chaminade
    Virginia

Draft saved Draft deleted