1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bigger story: Appy State or Boston no-hitter?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Sep 1, 2007.

1. I think newspapers would do well running the Michigan state big tomorrow, despite the age of the story. ESPN's coverage was pretty slim, other than showing the same plays over and over and over again. Not much dissection of the game or even that much fallout from Ann Arbor.

I'm looking forward to reading the stories tomorrow.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

App-Michigan is the bigger story, and that's why it has more right to the sports front than the no-hitter (keep in mind that most papers won't centerpiece it because they have their own college or HS game in that spot).

No-hitter is the more breaking story at the time SportsCenter started, and that's why it should have led the show. A lot of people probably didn't even know who this kid was, much less that he threw a no-no.

3. IU90

IU90 Member

Appy State might've lead if the no-hitter had been thrown by a Royal, Mariner, or Twin. But a no-hitter by a Red Sox or Yankee always leads in ESPN's world.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Where's the love, Junk?

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

In a college football town: Michigan.

In a baseball town: No-hitter.

rb

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Great minds think alike. It is simply a matter of knowing your audience. And with ESPN, they have had three channels throwing non-stop Appy State love since 2:30. The baseball game is indeed fresher, newer, and hits the SC audience a little cleaner.

rb

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I meant in college football. sorry for not clarifying.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That's what I would think. One's been done for some time, Buchholz just broke recently. Have to lead with that.

9. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Carnegie Tech 19, Notre Dame 0, 1926.

http://www.carnegiemellontoday.com/article.asp?aid=380

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Unless you have early deadlines...

I gotta be done by 11 (or a little thereafter), so it would have been difficult to junk the front (which had been sent a few hours before). Played it huge on the baseball page.

Front page was App., NFL and NASCAR with a big Va. Tech package (state school, big alum area). NFL/NASCAR jumps were on pages that were already sent.

So unless I (just me on desk) wanted to rip up literally half the section within an hour of deadline, it would have been difficult to pull off.

EDITED to fix my error.

11. Actually, I think Junkie was defending the WWL's placement at the front of the show. Otherwise, he said newspapers should let their region determine placement - if I understood correctly.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Yep, for newspapers in this instance, the bigger news depends on where you are and what the makeup of your readership is, not when it happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted