1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bigger story: Appy State or Boston no-hitter?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Sep 1, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Well, I predicted SportsCenter would start with the no-hitter.

I was right.

Appy State is the much, much, much, much, much bigger story. As awesome as no-hitters are, a win like Appy State's had never been accomplished in Division I football. Never.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Appy State is the bigger story everywhere but in New England. Period.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Clay Buchholz no-hitter because:

1) I believe a baseball highlight should always open up SportsCenter when applicable, and
    2) I'm a Michigan fan.

Where's Bobby Ewing in the shower when you need him?

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

How quickly you forget who you're talking about. ESPN is in love with everything Red Sox/Yankees...

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Alas, I didn't forget. It's why I predicted they would start with Boston. But I said it half joking, thinking that surely, even ESPN would lead with possibly the biggest upset in college football history.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

ESPN might have led with the no-no because Appy State-Michigan has been over for some time.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

As much as I love baseball, the bigger story right now is Michigan's loss. If this were Buccholz's first start, I'd go the other way. Same if Michigan weren't ranked No. 5. When you're a top-10 team, you're expected to dominate, and when you lose, it's a huge story.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Bingo.

In the paper, Appy State is still the lead.

On TV, the no-no is newer.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Should have been Appy State, but knew what the WWL would do.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Good point, but again, we're talking about something that had never been accomplished. And we're not talking about Appy State going to TCU and winning. Michigan, the winningest program in Division I-A history, lost to a 1-AA team (or whatever the division is called now).

Two years ago, when Appy State won the 1-AA national title, Kansas beat them 38-7. Kansas, the averagest of average teams, beat Appy State pretty good during a national championship season.

It's a game that can't be compared because it's never happened.

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Appy State is the bigger story by 3,000 miles.

Now ...

What if it was a perfect game?

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It might have something to do with the new Big 10 network.
    Maybe this was ESPN's response for not getting a live cutaway, like they do with virtually every other network.

Draft saved Draft deleted