1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bigger Rock Influence

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 6, 2014.

?

If you give top 2 spots of bands that influenced rock to Beatles and Rolling Stones - who goes next?

1. The Clash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Led Zepplin

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Other

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Mini Ditka

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. KillYoSelf

KillYoSelf New Member

Hawkwind.

2. There was a documentary on VH1 on the Clash and a rock critic said that after the Beatles and the Rolling Stones that the Clash was rock's most influential band. My thought was - really?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Most of the really "influential" bands are bands that never really were "huge"

Pixies
    Mudhoney
    Sonic Youth

Zeppelin may be the big exception. They had such a huge influence on 80s rock, Def Leppard is the most obvious one.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The Velvet Underground fits in nicely on your list.

5. Mizzougrad96

Yes, exactly. Perfect example.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Motorhead too, hugely influential on the British metal scene and on bands like Metallica.

7. Mizzougrad96

Nevermind the obvious influence performers like Kansas Joe McCoy and Memphis Minnie, Willie Dixon, Robert Johnson, etc... had on Zeppelin. :D

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Also interesting to think about how things might have changed had Holly not died. At 22, he'd already made a huge impact; who knows what he might have done over the course of the next5-10 years, and how that might have had a carry forward impact.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Clash were hugely influential, and they enjoyed wider commercial success than some other key influencers like the Ramones and the Stooges.

Were they more influential than Led Z? I don't know. I think the ripple effects of both continue.

10. It could be argued that the Clash wasn't as influential at the Sex Pistols or Ramones.

On the flip side it could be argued that Led Zep wasn't as influential as Cream.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And Hendrix was probably more influential than Zeppelin and Cream.

12. joe

joe Active Member

Of your list, the Pixies certainly had more commercial — i.e. touring — success than the other two. Don't know if that translates into influence, but they were a staple on the college theater scene in the '80s and early '90s.

Draft saved Draft deleted