1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bigger Rock Influence

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 6, 2014.

?

If you give top 2 spots of bands that influenced rock to Beatles and Rolling Stones - who goes next?

1. The Clash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Led Zepplin

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Other

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Mini Ditka

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've said it before on here: Ace's solo on "Rock and Roll All Nite" caused more kids to pick up guitars in the 70s than anyone this side of Eddie Van Halen.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, I believe The Clash's impact on music history is criminally overrated.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I am a huge Clash fan but the Pistols and Ramones would be far bigger influences.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The thread is "bigger" rock influence, not "biggest" rock influence.

It's not a bad pairing. Very different bands; both very influential in different corners of the rock universe.

I'd probably go with Zep, but could argue in favor of the Clash as well.

5. KillYoSelf

KillYoSelf New Member

Black Sabbath

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

YankeeFan - if the only choices were Zep or The Clash, the vote would be for Zep. But when "other" is listed, then it opens the conversation up to every other rock act.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Lonnie Donegan, UK's King of Skiffle, should be mentioned. A good number of the Brittish pop and rock stars who came of age in the 50s and 60s started out playing skiffle. The Beatles, Who, Zeppelin, Hollies, Stones, Van Morison, CSN(&Y), Jackson Browne all evolved from skiffle. Many of the folk artists that inspired Dylan either played skiffle or were influenced by it.

Some quotes from Donegan's Wiki page:

"He was the first person we had heard of from Britain to get to the coveted No. 1 in the charts, and we studied his records avidly. We all bought guitars to be in a skiffle group. He was the man." — Paul McCartney

"He really was at the very cornerstone of English blues and rock." — Brian May.[2]

"I wanted to be Elvis Presley when I grew up, I knew that. But the man who really made me feel like I could actually go out and do it was a chap by the name of Lonnie Donegan." — Roger Daltrey

"Remember, Lonnie Donegan started it for you." — Jack White's acceptance speech at the Brit Awards.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Your mom.

9. KillYoSelf

KillYoSelf New Member

I wanted to be a writer, once upon a time.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

How far back do we want to go? Could throw in Woody Guthrie. Influenced Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Cash, Bob Wills, Wilco, Neil Young and countless others who shaped modern rock music.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And yet, I've never wanted kill mah self.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You have to look at Dylan, Hendrix, the Who, Nirvana, Ramones and a few others. Zepplin is always touted as the icon, but there are plenty who did things with music and recording that paved the way for a lot of artists.

Draft saved Draft deleted