1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bigger Rock Influence

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 6, 2014.

?

If you give top 2 spots of bands that influenced rock to Beatles and Rolling Stones - who goes next?

1. The Clash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Led Zepplin

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Other

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Mini Ditka

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Almost added The Who to the list.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Of those two it's Zeppelin, easily. And I'm more of a Clash fan. I'd definitely put The Who above The Clash.

3. KillYoSelf

KillYoSelf New Member

What kind of rock?

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins...Sun Records in general. I guess it depends on where you want to start with a very loose term like "rock".

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins and Elvis influenced the Beatles. Brian Wilson through the Beach Boys influenced modern music production. And of course there's Sugarhill Gang getting the rap ball rolling

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Buddy Holly & The Crickets were such an influence on Lennon and McCartney they decided to give their band a bug name too.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Muddy Waters all hugely influential on all the bands of the British Invasion and by extension the bands they influenced.Other highly influential artists before the ones you've listed would be Dylan, Hendrix, and Springsteen.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I can't remember who came up with the line first, but in the middle-to-late 1970s, just when punk was going big and heavy metal starting to develop, I remember reading, "Every English-speaking pop-rock band is either trying to be like -- or unlike -- the Beatles."

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I wonder how much the development of rock would have been changed without Elvis, Chuck Berry or Buddy Holly. I'm thinking history would have been altered considerably.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Pixies
    Joy Division
    Velvet Underground
    Sex Pistols
    Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Little Richard also was a huge influence on the Beatles. Listen to their early records. Paul does the Little Richard "woooo" in almost every song.

And I'd add KISS to the master list. Their music itself wasn't all that great or hugely influential, but Ace Frehely made more kids pick up a guitar for the first time than anybody other than Jimi Hendrix and maybe Chuck Berry.

And the Clash? C'mon. I'm sure they influenced a bunch of hipster music critics, but no way did they have the reach of the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin or 10 other bands I could name.

Draft saved Draft deleted