1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Unit K alert

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, May 9, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'd rather not be subjected to the Orioles, EVER! And mostly I'd just like any game other than the Yankees. :p

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

On the first pitch from Medders in relief, no less.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

About time. He hasn't done shit for my fantasy team.

4. WSKY

WSKY Member

Big Unit, hang it up

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

He's got a (somewhat) realistic chance to get 300 wins. I'm not sure he's going to hang it up soon.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He's at 280 now (I had no idea he was that far along until I looked it up). He will get to 300 unless his arm falls off.

Besides him and Glavine, the closest one is Mussina at 241 (He's a longshot, but a maybe) and Wells (231-no freaking way). Pedro at 206 has fallen off the pace. Smoltz might've been on pace if he hadn't been in the bullpen.

Bartolo Colon is almost halfway there (143) and I'd say he has the best shot of the up-and-comers, followed by Mark Mulder and Roy Oswalt (103 wins each with similar IP and GS).

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Bat

It's still going to be somewhat difficult for the Big Unit. He's on not-so-great a team. He needs 10 wins this year and 10 next, for argument's sake. And last night didn't help his cause.

Or, he needs roughly six wins each of the next three seasons.

He's 44 later this year.

I'm still rooting for him though.

8. Football_Bat

Nolan Ryan didn't retire until age 46, and Johnson's and Ryan's careers are similar in a lot of ways. Of course, both own a World Series ring ... both are top 3 in strikeouts ... they are damn near equal in career ERA. By the time the Unit's through, 300 may be in his rear view mirror and he stays active to challenge Nolan's K mark.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Oswalt, maybe. Mulder, I don't see it. He's lost too much time the last two years.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

No way Big Unit even threatens Ryan's K record.

Ryan: 5,714
    Johnson: 4,572

Even if Johnson averages 200 Ks per season until he tied Ryan, Johnson needs to play at least six more seasons.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

After Johnson and Glavine both possibly make it, I don't think anyone else comes close.

Mussina doesn't have a prayer.

12. Football_Bat

Moose is a longshot for sure. But I'm not prepared to say never again.

Pitchers are getting fewer starts, but at the same time their longevity is exploding. Six years ago I looked at the Unit as lucky to get to 250, and here he is at 280 today with a very realistic shot at 300. Guys like Ryan and Clemens used to be freaks. Now they are commonplace and still going strong.

It was said years ago that Ryan and Sutton would be the last 300 winners. Then Clemens and Maddux came along. Now Glavine and Johnson are knocking on the door. Mussina could get to 275-280 with just a couple of good years. At 38, he's practically a puppy.

Draft saved Draft deleted