1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big typo on SI.com

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Mar 4, 2007.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

That is such bullshit; an old excuse (which has never been true) from print types who fear/dislike/don't understand the online world.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

No, lantaur, it's sadly sometimes a bitter reality because online mistakes often just disappear after they are brought to light. Facts matter, but when stuff isn't run through editors -- or worse, is typed up by people like Scoop -- facts are rarely checked until a reader sends in an email.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The fact that you can fix a mistake online -- in print, it's too f-ing bad -- and play like it never happened is what draws the ire in the first place.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Do you really think the majority of stuff on the web is not run through an editor, or some sort of editorial process? The problem is in teaching people how to edit (and to question a writer, if even if it is a "big name"), and this is for online or print.

But to think that sites like ESPN, SI.com, SportsLine, Yahoo, etc., just throw things up willy-nilly is a ridiculous notion.

And sorry if the medium lends itself to easy self-correction ... but then shouldn't it be corrected? Some things do slip by, in any medium.

(That being said, this was an egregious mistake. But mistakes do happen. Once in my local paper eons ago, the story was about Joe Morgan, the ex-Reds player. The picture which ran was of Joe Morgan, Red Sox manager.)

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Let's just put it this way, I have seen so much slopppy crap on sites ranging from ESPN.com to the local paper that I know has absolutely not been read by an editor. I believe most is run past the eyes of several editors, but to suggest there is not at times a bunch of sloppily-written, poorly (if at all) edited copy posted on websites for reputable news organizations is also a ridiculous notion.

I see way too much of it to think it's just a fluke.

Draft saved Draft deleted