1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Tobacco to smokers: Bend over

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If simple medical facts aren't enough to get bozos to quit smoking, maybe $5 a pack will do it.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

My point is that medical facts, high prices and embarrassing me is not enough to make me quit. Something else needs to be done. Plain and simple. At least in my case.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Understood, but not every smoker is like you. Some people, they just need it to be harder for them to keep smoking. Or they just need to get to the point that they are so pissed off by the money they are spending or the thought of being used by the tobacco industry that they make it a mission to quit.

You are correct, though. I've never really heard of rehab for cigarette smokers the way there is rehab for people on other drugs, even alcohol. If there is, we need more of it because some people just can't quit on their own.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It will be 4.75 in Tennessee and they'll be lined up out the door to get them some smokes.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

The only smokers I know are ones just like me. I do not know a single smoker that will quit for any of the reasons you mentioned above. If they can quit because of those reasons, then they are not addicted. I believe that the "some people" you mention constitues a minority of the smokers.

And there is not a rehab for nicotine addiction. If there was, I would have already enrolled.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Cigarette taxes are a poor source of revenue for governments to rely on.

As stated before, fewer people smoke. Higher prices have some to do with it, but so do more restrictive laws and workplace rules on where you can smoke, more effective cessation options and meds like Chantix, advertising bans, and social stigmatization of smokers.

As fewer people smoke, the government rakes in less and less on cigarette taxes. And most of the time, even though new taxes may go initially toward health programs, the money eventually goes into the state or federal government's general fund.

7. outofplace

People quit all the time. It happens. It sure as hell isn't easy, but it can be done.

And every smoker is an addict. Every single one. But brain chemistry is a funny thing, and often different from person to person.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I hear you.

I'm just attempting to explain to you why I will not be quitting, no matter the price, or the ridicule, or the people around me who die, or the names that I am called on this board. I am not one of the ones that can just put them down and never look back. I personally do not know anyone who has ever been able to do that. I suppose people like that exist, but in my 41 years, I have yet to meet one.

9. Hi. Nice to meet you.

I quit in December and now that my wife is pregnant, I won't ever smoke one again. I don't have the urge or the desire. I will never smoke another cigarette.

Good thing, too. They're $8 per pack here for my old brand.

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Nice to meet you Doc. But I have tried. I can't do it. Got pregnant myself over 20 years ago. Still went back to smoking.

I need more help than high prices and being made fun of.

Please continue to support me on the stop smoking thread, when I do make progress. Please? Thank you.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Speaking as somebody who (eventually) kicked smokeless-from-a-can ...

Aerial herbicide spraying. I'll even fly the fucking airplane.

@Doc: I assume you will not be passing out cigars to commemorate the eventual happy occasion.

12. outofplace

Congrats Doc. Seriously.

And Lies, I'm not making fun of you. I really do hope you find whatever help you need to get there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.