1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ten Realignment?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'd go:

Michigan
    Michigan State
    Ohio State
    Northwestern
    Purdue
    Indiana
    Illinois

Wisconsin
    Nebraska
    Penn State
    Iowa
    Minnesota
    Rutgers
    Maryland

If the league keeps the eight-game conference schedule, that saves every major rivalry except the Little Brown Jug and Land Grant. If they eventually go to nine, you could have every rivalry game every year.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Note to Big 10: no one cares.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Rust Division
    More Rust Division

For God's sake, please don't take away the Old Oaken Bucket game.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The Land Grant has never been a "major rivalry." Nobody bought it when they tried to force it a decade and a half ago, and nobody is still buying it :). It's about as big of a deal as the spittoon Indiana & Michigan State play for.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Not SEC 1
    Not SEC 2

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

SLOW and SLOWER.

Then, when the absurd B1G absorbs the Ivy League, they'll be pre-positioned to add SLOWEST.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Exactly.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No way Northwestern should have to endure both Ohio State and Michigan, annually. One or the other.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Michigan would have killed for FItzgerald -- but he said "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO".

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Why does Bielema leaving Wisconsin automatically shift the power balance? Was that said after Alvarez, who built UW into what it is, left?

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think the Big Ten screwed themselves by trying to protect rivalries while adding so many new teams. You can't have it both ways. For example, you either have to put Michigan/MSU/OSU/PSU together to protect rivalries and sacrifice competitive balance and lose both.

Funny, the BTN survey even asked fans which rivalries were more important: in-state or just overall rivalries. Personally, I hate the idea of losing rivalries so a school I root for can start playing Rutgers or Maryland.

Until this point, atleast expansion was exciting for the B10. Yes, you may lose a game or two against Iowa or Wisconsin but you gain a game against a Penn State or Nebraska - historically solid programs.

Now it is quite different. Lose traditional rivals and replace them with meaningless games that are further to travel to. I live in Michigan and don't get excited for a 12 hour trip to Maryland or a roadtrip to Jersey to watch a team known for its ineptitude when I was growing up.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Because there is no obvious successor. Paul Chryst is going to stay at Pitt. Is Wisconsin going to pony up for a big coach or steal one from another power conference? Doubtful.

Draft saved Draft deleted