1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ten Network vs Comcast

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Delany and his network minions have been making the rounds of radio stations (team flagships, I think) and newspapers in Big Ten land. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel editorialized the other day that the network should be on standard (non-digital, whatever it's called) cable. Swallowed the Big Ten spin that people deserve to get this without paying extra.
    What, and the cable system isn't going to raise the rates to pay the extra $1.10 a month? When cows fly.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

When they get NFL, AFL, MLB, NBA, etc, etc, then we'll see if we should pay.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

according to the BTN....

72% Amount of your cable bill that goes to either cable-operator profits or their non-programming costs. David Leach, an independent researcher who formerly headed U.S. Rep. John Dingell's telecommunications staff, in a research paper says programming costs are not responsible for increasing cable rates, despite operator claims. Leach's paper was filed with the FCC last week on behalf of the four major broadcast networks.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Didn't this happen last year when Ohio State and I want to say Ohio was on ESPNU and the only hue and cry was out of Columbus.

And there was a big to do last year when Air Force and Notre Dame was on the *gasp* CSTV Network, depriving the beloved Irish of being on national TV for the first time in something like 20 years.

For some reason, the Republic survived.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

When the pros try this shit it's understandable, but this is college athletics. It's pure bullshit.

The players should wake the fuck up and realize they are being taken advantage of in an incredibly shady way.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Not to mention that the games on syndicated TV last year (the ESPN+ package) go off off-air TV and onto the BTN. So everything but ABC (football) and CBS (basketball) coverage, you have to pay for.

7. Here here, I'll raise a beer to that. Comcast was crying big croc tears over the whole NFL Network thing. Like that isn't the pot calling the kettle black. I hope DirecTV, Dish Network and Verison bury the greedy Comcast fucwads in the desert and throw away the shovel. There, I feel better now.

8. Mira

Mira Member

Besides Comcast, the Big Ten Network hasn't nailed down agreements with Time Warner and Charter in Wisconsin. What a joke.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So does this mean Big 10 games will no longer be a part of DirecTV's Gameday package?

10. Mira

Mira Member

I'm pretty sure DirecTV carries BTN.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they do too but I was wondering about the 11 a.m. games on the GameDay package. BTN can't show all of them at once.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If it means Comcast, Charter, et al... can't rape their customers with a five dollar increase for a $1.10 expense, I can live without the NFL Network and the Big Ten Network...

Draft saved Draft deleted