1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ten Network vs Comcast

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Aug 18, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07230/810467-237.stm

I'd never thought I'd say this, but I'm rooting for Comcast on this one.

"We're offering the channel in the region for about $1 a month per subscriber. Outside the region, we're offering it for a dime. So for Comcast, the blended national rate of this channel is really about 30 cents when you consider it across their subscribers nationally."

Wonder if he got dizzy from spinning.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I live in Big Ten country, I'm a fan of a Big Ten school, I roll my eyes at the anti-Big Ten rancor elsewhere in the nation.

Having said all that ... fuck the Big Ten Network.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Who the fuck outside the Big 110 region would even want to watch that monstrosity of boredom? Sure not everyone who went to a Big 110 lives in that region now, but still. It's bad enough we get bored to tears every Saturday during football season, and during their boring hoops season. All the time? Ayeeeee!!!

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh BS.

Big Ten women's crew ... you know you want it bitch!

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for John Swofford's incredible marketing machine to crank out an ACC Network. ::)

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Hasn't ESPNU taught these guys ANYTHING?
    You aren't getting top dollar and thrown onto basic cable.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Agreed with everyone here. Let's say the network plans just 8 hours a day of original programming out of every 24 hours, with the rest to be covered with replays and paid programming. That's 2920 hours to fill in a year.

35 football games x 3 hours per game = 105 hours
    100 men's basketball game x 2 hours per = 200 hours

So, being EXTREMELY generous and saying that all the football and men's basketball games will be of interest to a lot of sports fans in Big 10 country, that still leaves 2,615 hours of THSP (total horse shit programming) in a year.

Or viewed another, the games anyone will give a shit about will constitute approximately 2.5 hours of programming per week.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

But . . . but . . you weren't supposed to notice!

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Be a Yankee in the middle of the SEC-propaganda bullshit.. you'll see who...

But Delany is an arrogant fuck and I hate Comcast with a passion... can we root for both parties to explode?

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Fuck the Fat 10 and its network

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What happens in five years when the big ten decides they want to make more money and they relegate the U OF M/OSU game to their network?

I can't believe no one sees this coming. Between the B10 Network and the NFL Network, we are being forced on digital cable and satellite dishes. So much for the casual fan.

Draft saved Draft deleted