1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ten Network and the Freeh Report

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Credibility.

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

In whose opinion, aside from journalists? What percentage of fans, administrators, academics or anyone else will care that someone--who very well could be a good journalist--got credentialed to cover a game on behalf of an organization that a few journalists don't consider a "real" journalism organization?

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Me, too. I love those.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

They're not a news network, they're a promotion instrument. Wondering why the Big Ten Network isn't out front of the Freeh Report is tantamount to wondering why the digital signage in the lobby doesn't give a full accounting and analysis of the organization's budget between the service anniversaries and the Toys for Tots drive reminder.

Showing the Urban Meyer presser serves their interests. Showing anything related to the Freeh Report, for better or worse, doesn't. So long as they have some games and coaches shows, the few people paying attention to it won't mind.

5. blueview

blueview Member

Three words: State. Run. Media.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm wondering why anyone would have considered the BTN their primary source on this story anyway. But all the conference and league-run networks tend to take care of their own first. MLB Network didn't acknowledge it on "Quick Pitch" when the fan died in Arlington last season, using some excuse about not being able to confirm it ... uh, it has been on the wires for hours. I know this because I put the story in the paper before coming home.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's like any journo who allows him or herself to be touted as an "insider" for a particular team. Typically they are so far "inside" they are pretty much of no use except for touting the company line.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

There are plenty of other places interested parties can turn to get the Freeh Report. The Big Ten Network was created to show games and be a recruiting tool, not a news organization.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Can we just call the BTN misdirection, and talk about the Penn State stuff on this thread, since every other thread keeps getting locked?

10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I echo the comments on here. I don't understand why anyone would think the network would promote something that would is damaging for the conference that is the sole reason for its existence. It's like expecting the Penn State athletics website to have a story on the Freeh report.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That was Fenian, I think.

And Blueview: nice heels.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Kristen Saban looks forward to her sideline stint on the SEC Network in 2015

Draft saved Draft deleted