1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Ten Network and the Freeh Report

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

BTN apparently did not show the report. It's behind a paywall, but they told David Haugh that they are "not a news network."

There are no words.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/07/12/hoge-explaining-big-ten-network-lack-of-penn-state-coverage/

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Anybody who is shocked or outraged by this hasn't been paying attention.

Of course the BTN isn't a news organization. It never has been. Why would it start now?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Haugh made a good point - they were a news organization when Ohio State was introducing Urban Meyer.

I understand that it's not a news network, but this is akin to MLB Network ignoring a failed drug test. When huge news breaks, you still have to report on it or be there, or what good are you?

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

What are you? Seriously? You are a good fan boi network. That's what the people want.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They're getting their cues from their minority owner. They're a news organization when they want to be and they're an entertainment organization the rest of the time.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

BTN apparently having a show at 9 p.m. (ET) today. Only one day later.

7. The personification of Bubbler's whorehouse piano player.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If the B10N admits it is not a news network then would that make its "reporters" merely fans?

If they are fans then they should not be considered journalists and should not be credentialed or considered as such.

Can't have it both ways. I know they're run by the league, but still.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The homer reporters get credentials, so why punish the network?

10. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Why can't they have it both ways? Schools are allowed to credential whoever the like to cover games. What incentive would a school have to ban the Big Ten Network, other than avoiding self-righteous posts on a message board for sports journalists?

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Big Ten Network makes my skin crawl.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The only thing I ever watch on it are the old football season highlight films in black and white.

Draft saved Draft deleted